Skip to main content

Tybee Lighthouse - Part One

There were a couple of "Must-Do's" connected with this trip.  One of them was to see and climb this wonderful lighthouse.  This was my first so I was pretty excited.  After our walk on the beach we went across the street to a crisply manicured and immaculate area where the lighthouse and keeper houses are.  A small fee allowed Jeff and I entrance (We were lucky, as I understand it.  Reservations are taken and walk-ups are sometimes turned away.  That and they close it up when it gets too windy, and as you can see by the flag, it wasn't a calm day.) and our goal was to scale the some 178, 209, or 218* or so steps that would take us to the observation area just below the beacon.  



Let's get the particulars out of the way first:

First Tower built: 1736
Present Tower: 1866
Height; 144 feet
First lit: 1867
Range:  18 miles
Automated: 1987




There are three landings in the climb where you can look out the windows (and rest).  The iron steps were fashioned separately, one by one, to conform to the dimension of the narrowing walls.  



This first landing picture isn't too frightening, neither is our breathing. 













By now our breathing sounded labored,  however we weren't the least bit winded.  Jeff and I could have walked back and bounded up like young gazelles a couple more times, given enough time and oxygen




It is almost too difficult to see, but Jeff and I are waving from atop the Lighthouse.  

More of the Tybee Island Lighthouse on Monday


*  These differing number of steps are somewhat confusing.  The website lists 178 stairs while one of the park service employees said 209 while another source, I forget where, mentioned 218.  The difference could include the additional number of steps from the observation area on up to the beacon. I didn't count going up and I sure won't ask Jeff to do it again.  It wasn't the easiest climb I've ever done. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant