Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

1.  My will is weakening.  It's been fun and I've been doing all the things I wanted to do. 
But I am missing my Norah.  I guess I'm ready to leave Northlandia but feel some things left undone and unsaid up here.  Laid the foundation to return, perhaps in a more permanent way down the road.

This is our song.  It's from Shrek, one of her favorites.  I kinda sorta whisper it to her when she is upset and lying her head on my shoulder.  











2.  REASON #1 WHY MY TRANSFER TO BEDLAM BY THE BAY IS A GOOD THING:


There be snakes in Shawshank!!!  In fact right next door!!!   YIKES!!!
 
ANY OTHER REASONS? NO.
 
3.  Isak Denisen, aka Karen Blixen, famously wrote, "I once had a farm in Africa" which also became a hit movie "Out of Africa" in the '80's. 
 
 
This is the barn I got excited about out in the country, not far from Dead Man's curve outside Aledo.  It had a house, shed, garage, five acres and other cool stuff but it also, unfortunately, had a recent buyer.  It went dirt cheap.  By dirt, I'm thinking a used Chevy Tahoe. Man, I've never had a barn before.  Perhaps someday.  "I almost had a barn in Aledo..." 

By the way, I recently came across a saying of hers which I kind of like:  "I know of a cure for everything - salt water...in one way or the other.  Sweat, tears or the salt sea."  

4.  I've seen crop dusters do their thing with small planes like the one below which buzzed around next door to the Wombies place, and I saw a helicopter doing its thing near Alpha.  Must take steely nerves to dive  around houses, phone poles and other stuff to get those nasty bugs.  I heard the approximate costs per acre and the benefits in increased yield, and, yeah, it seems to be worth it.     

 5.  My nighttime picture taking is fun, if a bit spooky, too, down the road from Aledo in the South Lagoon.  Tweaking my settings just a little creates interesting shots.  

  
The sun was coming up and I played with the aperture which allowed for more light through the shutter.  This 15 second exposure is kind of pretty if deceptive; it was still night with a hint of lightening sky toward the east. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant