Skip to main content

Galva Freedom Fest Car Show Part 1


I had hoped for a few more outings with Miss Frump on my stay in Northlandia.  The Miss stays up here because where I am is simply not viable for an old car.  People are crazy fast and just crazy down here, so it is best to keep her on nice slow Midwestern roads.   Like I said, I had hoped for more shows but a pesky little motor mount problem kept her at the hospital for a couple weeks.  I finally got a call from Dr. Allen that she was ready to be discharged and so we went to the Galva Freedom Fest car show on the 9th of August.  





Here we are cruising Route 34 in between Altona and Galva.  The proliferation of windmills is rather jolting.  Anyway, Miss Frump and I are still getting used to each other so, while she has been reliable everytime out, I still need to understand her specific eccentricities and driving habits.  Dr. Allen worked on her steering box so the steering was tighter.  We seem to still have starting issues and may need a carb re-build.   



It didn't take long before being assigned our class and finding a parking spot for the hordes to come over and dazzle at her lines and classic style.  Yes, I am being a little snarky.  Just as soon as I parked and started cleaning her a four folks meandered over to get a glimpse.  They seemed impressed and  their ogling warmed my heart.  

As you can see she was next to a late 60's model Plymouth Roadrunner which would get most of the attention.  And as for her classic lines, well, Miss Frump is a mutt of a car, half-Chrysler half-Dodge, so classic styling wasn't involved in her conception.  



Turns out she was assigned the wrong class, so we had to move and we landed next to a pretty sharp looking Chevy.  She started right off (I always cross my fingers) and we made the short drive down to the correct area.  She may not win any trophies but she looks great and I am glad to have her - something rare and not seen very often.  

The outing was great and she performed well; started and stopped when instructed, and cleaned up pretty good too after all these months in storage.  

She may not have the fins of my Imperial, or the homeliness of my Plymouth, or the sportiness of my Galaxie, all gone when I moved down here, but she is mine and that makes her priceless.  Oh, and I do have another stall in the garage and I like to think she may want company someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant