Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



  
1. This old weathered tombstone is in Candor Cemetery where my folks are, along with a hefty number of residents of Seaton, many of whom I remember Under this stone resides a genuine hero.  While that word is diluted a bit in this age of honoring any group of employees serving citizens at large, this man, James Burnett is the real deal. 

Mr. Burnett was a Captain in Illinois's 30th Regiment, Company G.  He died on May 16th 1863 in the Battle of Champion Hill.  Champion Hill was the deciding confrontation in the Battle Of Vicksburg. 
   


Aledo Weekly Record
Tuesday, Aug 25, 1863

FUNERAL OF CAPT. JAS. BURNETT, which occurred in this place, Tuesday last, was largely attended by his many friends and acquaintances throughout the County, each anxious to pay their tribute of respect to the memory of one who had fallen, while defending the cause so near and dear to every patriot's heart. His remains were conveyed to the Candor Church-yard, for internment, and very appropriately wrapped in the American Flag, followed by a large procession, including quite a number of soldiers, preceded with martial music. Col. Shedd, Capt. Sanders, Capt. Scudder, Lieuts. Gibson McClure, and Blackburn, acting as pall-bears. At the grave they were met by large numbers from that vicinity, where the remains of Captain James Burnet were consigned to their last resting place with military honors.





2.  I like going to Tanner's Orchard this time of year.  Cider donuts (both varieties, sugared and plain) are a tasty Fall treat.  Pat, her daughter, Shelley, and Pat's great-granddaughter, Addison, joined me on this ritual trip.    






Here are pictures of the play area for children.  There is a high mound which I scaled like a limber, gray-haired old billy goat.  The proliferation of village approved golf carts, cell towers and windmills is something I've noticed on my journeys back to Northlandia. 

While checking out the real caboose I heard a kid say to her grandmother, " I have to go to the bathroom." 

Granny replied to the kid in a kind of resigned voice, "I have to go home.  We've been here 2 hours and I'm wearing out." 

For those who have never been, like Holly, I heartily recommend the trip over, even if it takes a while to reach Speer, Illinois.  Avoid weekends if you can, it becomes quite congested later in the season.    


 Cider Donuts and Apple Fritters

3.  I like Tanner's so much I thought Kenzie, Drew and Norah should have something.  So I sent them a care package containing cider doughnuts, caramel corn and a cool knitted hat for Norah.






Comments

  1. No trip to Northlandia would be complete without a trip to Tanners. Cider donuts and fritters are great washed down with a cup of their cider. The hat looks wonderful on Miss Norah.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant