Skip to main content

A Walk Around Bedlam - 1




I was sitting around with my by fellow inmates here at Bedlam and decided to see what was happening on the outside.



My transfer from Shawshank to Bedlam was completed while I was on the lam up North.  When returned I started to case the joint.  Gone was the bucolic coma-like serenity of Shawshank.  



In this cropped picture you can see more clearly the location of my cell.  I had these pictures taken in case I am able to hire a covert op chopper to get me out.  Those look like tennis courts, but that's actually where they have us patients chase balls in the searing heat until exhausted.  Those are innocent looking handball courts to the right, but that's where we do the same thing.  It is inhumane. 

That looks like a pool but it is used for hydro-therapy and water boarding.  



                              

I found a weakness in security one morning and took a walk around the asylum.  Recent rains flooded a parking area.  Contrary to the usual blue skies, the recent weather has been exhilarating.  Daily rains that last for hours.  Nice. 




On the west is the dreaded Route 19.  A conflagration of cement, Florida drivers and phalanx of six lane encased in either-side frontage roads makes this the worst of all possible ways to travel. 




Here you get a better view of the folly that is called "19", an artery that is the main way for people to go North-South.  Always busy, always dangerous you can see that there are off ramps at almost every main east-west road and lanes that become almost laughable.  Get in the right lane on the frontage to escape the melange and you just might get shunted off to a right lane that you weren't expecting.  Get in the far right lane and you end up in a U-Turn that gets you right back on 19, going the opposite direction.  It is a mess that should be avoided.  Every time I have to use it I pause, say a prayer and sprinkle holy water on the bike.    



Scratched into the cement sidewalk is this long ago message:  Mitchell loves Mar???  The inscription beyond Mar is indecipherable.  I wonder where they are today.  And if Mitchell stills loves Mar???







This Corvette sits enticingly at the drive in to a local Chevy dealership.  It's a 7 year old version and costs $27,700.  




Right next to this Chevy place is one of those roadside car lots called Auto Wize.  It had a Corvette too.  I drove a 'Vette for a summer back in the early 80's and can't imagine what a struggle it would be to get into and out nowadays.


A little further down I walked with trepidation as I came across this laying along the sidewalk.  I'm not exactly sure I know what it is, but I kept on moving lest I observe a twitch. 

I think that's probably enough right now for all you civilized folks having breakfast.  We'll resume this walk around Bedlam at a later date.  





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant