Skip to main content

Tidbit Monday

1.  Tidbit Monday?  Good Heavens, what's going on?  This is Monday, not Tuesday! Well, good morning Northlandia.  I have returned, if only briefly.  I am here to attend my Wombie's retirement bash which was on Saturday.  Yeah, I know I said last week I wasn't coming up, but that was a ruse to insure total surprise.  I couldn't miss the Wombie's big week.  Birthday on Thursday, city party on Friday, friend's party at the Club on Saturday.  That's a lot of socializing for a backwards introvert like me, but I'll do my best.

From this point forward he will be known as…



Aquaman Sum Emeritus
(Big Drip Is Plugged)  


  On the agenda:


  • Take Miss Frump from Henderson over to Burgess for winter storage.  My car guy, Richard, will take care of her over there.

  • Sort through some of the Wombies archives for additional Flashback Fridays pics.  

  • Finally climb the grain bins at BFE.


  • Fire Pit at Neighbor Tim's






  •  A pizza at Jerry's





  • More Night shots in the best, blackest sky anywhere (And I promise I won't get scared) 






  • Am I too late for fall foliage?



 
This visit will be shorter than in August.  But plenty of time to get what needs to be done taken care of.  

2.  Next up, big scare last week.  They have been sprucing the place up here at Bedlam - new paint on all of the units.  The formerly bright colors that we inmates enjoyed has given way to a variation of grays, which seems now to better reflect our mental moods.  This work was given to a group of south-of-the-border immigrants who certainly work hard.  

The other day I was babysitting Norah and we did our usual stuff - carriage ride to the mail box, over to the tennis courts to chase a few balls around, stuff like that.  Then over the pool to take a swim in the increasingly cool water (it's not heated like Shawshank was).  Later on that day I realized I couldn't find my phone.  It wasn't in the usual places and when Kenzie and the current Mrs. Blythe arrived from work, even their phone calls to me in the apartment/cell didn't result in any ring.  

We started retracing our steps outside: to the tennis courts, the pool area, the handball courts, the mail area, nothing.   There was a van sitting by the entrance area not far from the tennis courts and pool area that belonged to the painters, as they were working on the pool building.  As I was heading over to check the handball courts, the current Mrs. Blythe called me again while walking by the van.  Yep, she heard my ring tone inside the van.  She hung up and called again.  Again she heart my ring tone.  

She walked over to a group of workers and calmly said, "Excuse me, but my husband's cell phone is ringing inside your van."  the workers walked over, got another worker and all three went over to the van where they opened the side door and out of a tied white plastic bag, retrieved my phone.  

They said they found it at the pool area and were going to hand it in to the office.  I think I was a very lucky cell phone owner that day.  

3.  I am doing something almost unheard of on this trip.  I have rented a camera lens: a wide angle that will hopefully allow for bigger night shy shots and day light panoramas.  I have been checking Ebay for a Tokina 11-16 mm but they always seem to go for more than my budget allows.  And then I came across a company that rents them.  This will allow me to take some nice star shots while in dark sky country.  Exciting, huh? 


4.  I'm planning on taking a few days off from the blog and will return once I get back to Florida.  There are a couple of you who integrate EIB religiously into your daily routines so I apologize for the void that creates.  I appreciate the kind words and compliments  my rare good posts engender.  Thanks to all of you who visit daily or from time to time.   
     
Thank You for visiting Existing in BFE

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant