Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

1.  There is a reason weird news stories come out of Florida.  Usually if someone does something truly stupid to make the national news it hails from the Cockleburr State state.  Brendan has a theory that if you go through puberty in Florida, you will remain stupid for life.  I'm not sure about that - I think its either the salt-baked air or the ceaseless barrage of sunlight. The place is full of artsy stoners,  sinkholes, geckos and hippies never quite able to escape the 60's.  The number of geriatric ponytails on the guys far exceeds the number on the ladies.  




Brendan was telling me the story of a guy at work who excused himself to go to the hospital because of a canker sore, and then called the boss to see if he could get a loan for $200 to pay for treatment.  Surprising, or maybe not so surprising here, the boss gave it to him and the guy never showed up for work again.

Keep watch on the news for the strange and weird - and I bet it comes from here.  I'd like to decrease the population around here by one.  

2.  Speaking of lucky, meet my neighbors:


  

This woke me at 3:00 AM and at it finally broke up at 5:45 AM.  Oh, good times in bedlam.  To make matters worse, I was at the computer one day and my neighbor, a bouncy, loud pony-tailed gadfly was standing on the sidewalk in from of the apartment.  She stood out there for a while as if she was waiting for someone.  Eventually curiosity got the best of her and she came right on up to the window and began peering in through the slats in the blinds.  More shocked than upset I should have banged on the window and raised Hell, but I was wondering how far she'd go.  Soon she left the window and started checking out the patio sliding door and looking inside.  So I have a loud, obnoxious peeping Tom neighbor here at Bedlam.  Oh, Northlandia, we hardly knew ye.  

3.  I have the means to do some outdoor decorating this year for Christmas, something I haven't had since being down here in Fuckflorida.  So what if it doesn't get any colder than the 40's at night, and snow usually falls no closer than 300 miles north, I'm gonna get in the spirit, dammit! 






4.  I will do a more appropriate post later, but my idol, mentor and academic God, Dr. George E LaMore, 84, professor of Theology and Philosophy at Iowa Wesleyan passed away on November 23, at his home in Mount Pleasant.  I liked 98% of all my teachers, but I adored this man and he was the guy who took me by the scruff of the neck and forced me into into his academic field and has been  shadowing me ever since.   I don't know how many times he scribbled in my essay book, "Exactly!  Now more."

5.  I have asked for and been granted the opportunity to provide Neighbor Tim with the Gremlin Bell for his next bike.   I will do so with honor.  For those who may not be familiar, please refer to the January 4th, 2012 post on this blog.  

6.  Norah Watcher's Picture of the Week:




A child sleeping.  About as sweet as it gets.
   And, yeah, she has a dirty face.  Even makes it better. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant