Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

1.  Down the road from me on Gandy Boulevard is a Wawa gas station that is convenient to stop at on my way back from Kenzie's or 4th Street in St. Pete.  Right next to this Wawa is Dimmit Motor Cars.  This place sells Roll-Royce's, McClaren's, Bentley's, Aston Martin's, Land Rover's and, yes, a cheap domestic car for the masses, the Cadillac.   

After gassing up I walked over and checked out a few of the cars in their lot.




These are McClarens.  I know zip about them except the price tags were around $325,000, give or take a few thousand.



This is a Roll-Royce Ghost.  This baby will set you back about $525,000.  They have a bunch of other Roll's, too on the lot, some are sporty convertibles.  Next time I'm over there when they are closed I'll take some more pictures.  That is nothing you want to do when they are open.  About the only thing I could afford on this lot is a jar of Grey Poupon.

2.  Last Thursday for Christmas I wore jeans and a sweater, although the weather called for shorts and t-shirt.  Dammit, it's winter, and it's Christmas, and a guy should dress accordingly.  After sweating awhile I changed into a polo shirt.  

3.  From one of my favorite websites, The Shirk Report, on Twisted Sifter.  




I'm pretty tough on bums down here, and with reason.  Most of them make more than I do and I guess I have that Midwestern ethic about begging.  But this video helped put a different slant on at least one guy. 

4.  I'm preparing the 2nd NFL Playoff Lotto where we pick the playoff games and best guesser, 2nd best guesser and 3rd best guesser get a fistful of cash.   Last year Justin, some cocky kid in Chicago and Brendan, some cocky kid in St. Petersburg won the top spots.   It's 5 bucks a week so if interested let me know.  The Wombie disappointingly did one week and bowed out the rest - what a wuss.  maybe this year he'll discover his spine and join us the whole way.  And yeah, you can only do it for one week, but why miss all the fun?  That's like drinking a a 4th of a beer then throwing the rest away.  Or having just one M & M.  Or just 3 episodes of True Detective or Fargo.  

5.  Our heartfelt condolences to all of the Stages' for the loss of patriarch Gary last Wednesday.  What a neat funny guy he was.  Went out somewhat on his own terms and I wish his wife Patricia, son and daughter, and scads of grands, the very best.  


    
That's Gary and wife, Patti and great grandkid, Brittany, I think.  I could be wrong but that looks like the Izaak Walton club lake down in Peoria.  Tim invited me to meet his Dad there once a few years ago for one of their big monthly dinners.  We went down on our bikes and had an amazingly good time.  I'm not much for crowds and all that stuff but they made me feel welcome and relaxed.  You could tell that Gary was well liked by other members because they picked on Tim a bit - good old joking.  The kind that lets you know you're just-a-kid-and-your-Dad-is-tops kind of thing.  I had a wonderful time, and remember the ride back was kind of hairy if only because my headlight wasn't all that bright and the deer were running.  But Tim, good friend that he is, kept the road bright and safe.  Gary was one of those guys who was laid back but when he spoke you listened.  Again, sorry to hear the news.  It's never easy to lose a parent and then having it come on Christmas Eve seems to compound the grief.  Today is the Memorial Service in Creve Coeur at Preston-Hanley Funeral Home.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant