Skip to main content

Flashback Friday - My Cars Part 1


Mark and being wombies and all did most things pretty much together throughout the early years.  We went to the doctor together, shopping together, and even dressed alike until high school.  With high school we started to separate - we pretty much had our own friends, had our own activities and so forth.  That is why Herb was so wrong in the Nova timesharing experiment.  He procured a really really nice 1968 Nova for us.  The thought was that we would share it as wheels and from his point of view, it was workable.  We'd ride with each other to school (10 miles to Aledo), functions, and be with each other on weekends.  The buddy system had worked up to now, so what would be so tough about sharing wheels?  

I don't know if it exists today, but back in those younger years one's car was a ticket to freedom.  And while we were thrilled and thankful to have this fine set of wheels, the sharing thing just didn't work out.  Like a boy must have a dog, so too, must a boy have his own set of wheels.  Besides, the cumbersome arrangement of dropping off, picking up each other became too insurmountable.  

As a result of this arrangement, I was given the option of driving my grandfather's 1963 Chevy Impala sedan.  Cigar-stench, tobacco stained windows, it was a true "granny" car but it was, for all intents and purpose, my wheels.  

But this isn't about the old brown Chevy that I adopted occasionally, it is about Mark and I's first car, the Nova.  




There were few prettier cars in the school lot.  Sure, the farmer's kids had all the new wheels and muscle cars, but for sheer beauty there were few that could match the Nova.  It was so classy that Chevrolet didn't even mess with the basic styling for years .   

I remember it being real tight and solid, too.  Just like ourr boxer Magic's back legs, taught with muscle twitches.  It was a great car:  beauty mixed with great build quality.  It could run, too.  Mark came up with an idea to spruce it up a bit, too.  He had found two "SS" decals and put them just below the Nova chrome badge on the tail.  You can see it in this photo.  It wasn't an SS, of course, as it had a basic V-8 307.  But it didn't have the standard six-banger, either. But it could move and by no means was it a dog.  One time I skipped school because the Met's were in the World Series and as I was rounding Bertelson's corner I slid on new tarred rock and did a spin job that scared me a bit, but nothing was hurt, bruised or dented, but it could have been.    

It eventually, mostly through my stubbornness, became Mark's car because I rebelled (gee, I did that a lot in high school) against the notion of car sharing.  I decided to get my own car, my very own.  But that's another Flashback.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant