Skip to main content

USPS

USPS - Unusually Slow Parcel Shipping?


Like the old adage, "it's an ill wind that blows nobody any good", I learned a few lessons from my USPS package that eluded its scheduled arrival by almost 2 weeks.  First the saga.

On Tuesday December 8th I took a package to Emerald City post office containing my camera, two lenses, two prescription meds,  2 Kitchen Cooked caramel corn packages and other assorted items to be shipped to Floriduh.  I recall being a bit miffed because my shipping choice would miss that upcoming Geminid meteor shower.  Estimated arrival date was the following Monday, the 15th.  

I tried saving a few dollars by only insuring it for a third of its worth.  Why pay more, huh, what could possibly go wrong?  

The 15th came and went , along with the rest of the week.  I signed on to the tracking service they have and discovered it was in transit to Jacksonville.  From there is went to St. Petersburg where it  remained a few days until I noticed that it was heading back north to Des Moines. 

I'm not always swift on the uptake but I do know that Des Moines is farther away than St. Petersburg, unless we are talking the Russian one.  The info I had said it was returning to "origin'.  Phone calls made and finally Carrie in Emerald City re-directed the package to the correct zip.  That's what happened.  Clearwater zip is 33760, and St. Pete's is 33706.  Somewhere a postal employee miss-tagged the zip.     





On the 23rd of December the long lost package arrived as you see it. For $35.00 this package travelled 4,010 miles, a bargain if you look at it a certain way. On the other hand, it was a bit of a pain not having my camera, and meds. Not to mention Norah's Iowa Wesleyan University jersey.


The only problem but it was a scary one at first.  Notice the top picture with the little orange pill stuck in the tape?  


My plastic pill bottle and caramel corn was a little rough up.  But he camera worked fine. 


I was worried that a lens cap had come off.  I haven't tried it yet, but I am hopeful all is well. 

Final thoughts, and a word to the wise.

  • I have decided to forgo any future shipping up or back (famous last words?).  I am going to buy a sturdy backpack and use it as my carry-on.  I have been using a satchel of sorts to transport stuff, but a backpack will eliminate the need for shipping boxes.
  • This will eliminate the need to purchase insurance.  But if I were going to ship I would purchase more insurance.  At least what the stuff would cost to purchase new. 
  • The Wombie said to ship UPS because it is faster and cheaper.  If I were to ship in the future I will use them.  There is a UPS kiosk in Emerald City.
  • Next time I am at the Emerald City post office I will thank Carrie for her assistance.
One final note.  My great friend, Pat J. sent me her camera so I wouldn't be without one for the Christmas.  Isn't that nice?  I'm sending it back to her...UPS, and full insured.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant