Skip to main content

Nina and Pinta

An early morning text and these pics from Neighbor Tim said the replica Nina and Pinta were in Burlington.  He knows the blog is always hungry and that I love tall ships.  After I replied that I might go over to see them he then suggested lunch.  And although the Santa Maria is no where to be seen, two outta three ain't bad.  (that is my ode to Meat Loaf who collapsed on stage last week, but is recovering.)   






Neighbor Tim is a Sherwin-Williams paint tech and had some business over there so we were able to meet at Big Muddy's along the river front.  That's where the two ships were berthed for three days for educational tours, before heading off to somewhere else along the Mississippi. 

An observation about the ships:  if they are built to scale then they are really small ocean going ships.  Imagine your husband coming home and asking, or perhaps in those days, telling you to gather the kids, say goodbye to family and friends and then walk with him to the dock and board these ships for a trip around the world to a place you know nothing about.  I'm probably not up to speed on the history of the people who sailed from England on these ships to the New World, but even with all the faith of your religion and in your husband, you surely had to be petrified at your odds of making it. 

I didn't fork over the $6 for an opportunity to step aboard and check them out, even though I qualified for the senior discount.  Just seeing them, rather regal with their flags and ensigns flying was good enough this trip.  

Thanks for the heads up, Neighbor Tim and my other friend, who alerted me to their Burlington stop.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant