Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

This coming Sunday is Father's Day.  Run, jog, walk or crawl to your Netflix Queue and rent Life As A House.  It details a father-son relationship that is drenched in pathos and humor, and I think a worthwhile viewing.  Whether you still have your Dad or not, watch it for a unique perspective on fatherhood.


++++++++++

I have been dogsitting Miss Maddie this week while Mr. And Mrs. Wombie visit kinfolk in Colorado.  She has been a perfect angel all week.  It didn't hurt that I could also mooch off what was in the fridge.   

++++++++++

There are two hummingbird feeders in the Wombie's backyard.  I have been having fun playing David Attenborough taking pictures of the little guys when they come up and feed.  Those pictures will be posted in the coming days.

++++++++++


While taking my morning walk I noticed what looks like a bra in a ditch just outside Emerald City. How it got there remains a mystery, but one can imagine.

++++++++++

This is what greets you as you drive into Oquawka.


++++++++++

I took a bike ride last week and while driving round noticed this peering from a garage.


I stopped at the open door waiting for the owner so I could tell him how much I admired it, but alas, no owner showed up.

++++++++++ 



Readers: especially Mr. Sutor - We have confirmed plans to ride the bikes in late August early September.  Our itinerary remains felxible (it's about the riding, not the destination, right?) but west is the preferred direction.  There are some issues to mull, however:

1.  We don't do rain.
2.  We don't do night very well,  except early morning - that is a perfect time to ride.
3.  If a big green blob is on radar between the west and our starting off place, we will re-direct our ride elsewhere. 
4.  If it is raining on the day we depart, we cancel till it stops.  
5.  If we have to we'll just do some local riding, maybe a couple overnights somewhere.
6.  First priority is safety.

++++++++++

When did "str-EE-ngth" become "str-e-ngth"?

++++++++++

If America didn't do anything about AR style assault rifles after Adam Lanza mowed down little kids at Newtown, we won't do anything after Orlando.  This is the America you want.

++++++++++

Thanks to a friend I'm watching Doc Marten.  It's great.

++++++++++

Saw this perfect little nest alongside the road on my walk.  Hope everyone is OK. 




  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant