Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

As I drive or ride past the cornfields of Northlandia my thoughts sometimes go back to my days as a hired man on Uncle Ed's small farm.  I am told that many of the things we did are now no longer done.  The first task after I returned from school was the slow month of cultivating.  This was the process of hitching to the tractor a devise with four prongs that would take out weeds in between the rows.  Farmer Mark told me they now simply spray.  This was confirmed also by Harvey P., the last remaining member of the group of farmers we shelled corn or baled hay for.  And I just mentioned the other things no longer done.  Farmers no longer place their corn in corn cribs.  We spent a good chunk of summer going around shelling neighbor farmers' corn since Ed was the only one with a sheller.  And finally, farmers now bale those big round things you see in the fields, not the small square ones.  You don't need barns or mows for the big ones.  And so, my work, much like myself is obsolete.  I think I'm a bit sad about that.

++++++++++ 



Coming back from G-Burg one morning a coyote ran out in front of me and went into the adjoining field.  I had just enough time to get this picture of him checking me out.  Can't tell what he has for lunch in his mouth.

++++++++++ 

I mentioned last week my neighbors two doors down in Seaton growing up were the Hall's.  Their son, Darren, wrote a book (available at Amazon and on Kindle) called Vanishing Rockwell.  If the book is as good as the title, then it ought to be pretty entertaining.





I requested from Lyle, Darren's dad, a signed copy and I got it a couple days ago.   Good luck, Darren.

++++++++++


Spotted on 4th Street in Rock Island.  An interesting alley/grotto.  Wonder what this was a hundred years ago. 

++++++++++



Spotted in Edgington. Caption contest.

"Hey Mom, I really like the car you got me for graduation, but last night I felt something rubbing on my way home."

"Hey Mom, I think my car needs an alignment."

++++++++++



The Rifleman is one of the shows I get on free-TV here at the Cabin.  I never watch it but even so, I was wondering whose idea it was to have Chuck Conners glower up at the camera after he unloads his shotgun on main street.  It was a squirrely idea, whoever came up with it. 

++++++++++



Kenzie sent me this picture of us back in the day on Father's Day.  One of my favorites.

++++++++++ 



The Gang back in Floriduh.  Hope you are both starting to pack.

++++++++++  


The "sleeps" count has begun for Norah!


And me!

This is a still from my event app.  The countdown till my return to Floriduh has begun up here, too.
Two hearts, beating as one.

++++++++++

In the two weeks I have left I hope to do some night photography - sadly, I have not done any of that at all yet.  Nor have I done any storm pics but those are on the way in the next couple of days, I hear from the local weather people.  I also have a couple of more road trip adventures planned and hopefully a fishing day at the river.  I have also started a new painting.  This Cabin in the Woods idea is working out and of course the opportunity to see old friends and Mr. and Mrs. Wombie is icing on the cake. 

++++++++++ 

Three days ago it was 87 in Clearwater and 90 in Aledo.

++++++++++

Heard just this morning Congress failed to pass legislation keeping guns out of terrorists.  See, I said last week that if America wasn't concerned with little kids being mowed down by assault weapons we certainly wouldn't do it over Orlando.told you this country.  It is a sad commentary on the so-called greatest nation. 

  




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant