Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

Following a national trend toward more modern degrees Western Illinois University, like Iowa Wesleyan University before them, has removed Philosophy as a major.  First my high school merges with another district and destroys the Greendragon mascot, then my college becomes a university, then my major is stricken from the rolls.  I'm all for modernization, but replacing Philosophy with Digital Media and Design seems so...trendy.


++++++++++





A few weeks ago I mentioned, perhaps insensitively at the time,  that John McLaughlin of the PBS McLaughlin Group should retire since he seemed to be withering in his chair before our eyes.  This past week he not only retired due to death.  He was 89.  His show was the grandaddy of all the talking head shows that followed, usually less successfully.  I started my fondness for politics by reading Alan Drury novels in high school and latched onto The MacLaughlin Group at some point.  It was usually an entertaining hour and maybe I learned something from it.  With politics going on 24/7 today I won't miss it too much,  I can always find it somewhere, but its another tether from the past snapped.  


++++++++++


Norah picked purple this time and had a tough go at staying within the lines.  Might have to beg for a redo.  

++++++++++


Went to the beach a week ago.  As I was heading to the car I saw this.  I don't even know where to begin, so maybe I'll just leave it alone and let you make of it what you will.

++++++++++




Saw this display at Big Lots recently.  I would have thought that health concerns, child-rearing and plain common sense would have eliminated candy and bubble gum cigarettes a long time ago.  Kind of amazing if you think about it.   And it doesn't say much for Big Lots.  

++++++++++

Last Sunday Kenzie, Drew and the family came over for a dip and breakfast.  


This was a spontaneous hug for Daddy I was able to get on my cellphone.  Man, that's got to make you feel like a million dollars.

++++++++++ 

Now that the election is over, I can turn my thoughts to baseball and the Mets.  Hmmm, let me see.  11 1/2 games back!!  Four teams ahead of us in the wildcard!!  Well, in that case I guess I can start thinking about...having a Bloody Mary. 

While the Mets are definitely out of it, the focus will be on the Chicago Cubs to become the next National League champs.  While I am no means a Cubs fan - and only this year allowed a Cub to be on my fantasy team (Contreras), I will suspend my dislike long enough for them to make it to the post-season playoffs and maybe World Series.  And if I don't jump up with joy with every Bryant home run it doesn't mean I am not rooting for them.  I am, rather, rooting for every Cubs fan, those patient, wistful losers who seem to have finally earned a shot to enjoy a World Series.  There is nothing like it.  I wish you much success.  Now where's my Bloody Mary.     

++++++++++


Spotted by daughter Kenze yesterday on her way to work.  I'm not a big fan of bathroom colloquialism but as advertising I guess it works.  It did for her.

++++++++++

As I was walking Alfred in her carriage yesterday around the block and past Wal-Mart, a real bum found the penny in front of the pop machine before I did.  He then walked over to Burger King.  Sure hope he had enough to have a good breakfast.

++++++++++

Remember two years ago when this election was supposed to be between Jeb and Hillary?  Now that's an election that would have been worth having.

++++++++++



Went to Port Richey to get a free oil change for the present Mrs. Blythe's Murano last Saturday.  The dealership has in its employ the greatest Honduran car salesman and, get this, his name is Otto.    Enjoyed him when we bought her car and I have fantasized about something for myself.  He almost sold me on this 2011 Nissan Pathfinder, a three-row seater so the whole family could ride together instead of having to use 2 cars.  Sadly, my finances couldn't handle it, but, whew! was that ever close.   










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant