Skip to main content

Sidewalk Chat With A Member of the Greatest Generation



See this guy?  He and his generation of World War II and Korea military guys are fading from sight.  In a new personal project I have undertaken, whenever I see one of these men sporting their military hats, I stop and thank them for their service and start asking questions.  

Before we get to the guy above I started this with an older gentleman I saw in the grocery store but forgot to ask for his picture.  He wore an Army hat and so I approached him and asked about his time in the Army.  He told me he was in the Signal Corp during the Korean War.  He was responsible for putting up phone lines on poles after ground had been taken.  Every once in a while they'd take more ground and get too fast putting up their lines before they had secured the ground of the enemy.  He was fired on while up in that pole once.  One of his buddies was killed doing this job.  He remembered the cold nights in Korea.  

And now the guy above.  He happily told me his story, and was supremely polite.  Even when I asked to take his picture.  Being 16 at the end of World War II he was too young, so he wrote 17 under his shoes, and lied about his age.  The Navy found out but they, and his parents, granted him a waiver.  He served on the USS  Midway, a newly commissioned aircraft carrier as the war came to an end.  His job was in the radar room to assist in navigation.  He also served in Korea.  

After the war in Korea he was stationed near the Antarctic in a different ship, again to assist in navigation.  He said it was so cold up there that when he got out of the Navy he wanted to go where it was the warmest place and moved to Florida.  I hope Florida took the chill out of his bones.  

Veteran's Day is coming up in a week and a half - plenty of time to get your lists ready.  Why not text, call or tell a vet that day you appreciate what they have done for all of us.  And maybe when you see one of these guys with the hats, take the time to say thanks.  










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant