Skip to main content

Head Out On The Highway Looking For Adventure

Once again the Wombies' and I piled into their Chevy SUV and headed out to see what we could see.  And see some stuff we did.  





Just outside Avon we came across these camel, or are they dromedaries?  I did some research.  There are three types of camels, and it looks like this camel farm or whatever it is has 2 of the three varieties.  Bactrian camels have 2 humps while the dromedary camel has one.  The third type is so rare that I doubt if they would be in Avon, Illinois.   





We went to the world famous Spoonies in London Mills.  Being somewhat of an expert on tenderloins I can attest that these are most likely the best in the area.  





I stopped to take a picture of this rustic barn along the road and eventually liked the tree better.  It is almost perfectly shaped.  It, to me, is more arresting than the barn.  



Finally, we drove through Norwood Cemetery and couldn't help but notice the Cubs "Win" flag and windsock at the grave of a Mr. Pease.   It is not the team that has been so futile through the years (I placed it in the blind squirrel category), but the fans that found a way to connect with their lost family members that touched me the most about last season.  

Another roadtrip, another amazing day of seeing things right under our noses.  That's what is so much fun about taking off.  Can't wait for more of these next summer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant