Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits





Florida's pathetic attempts to see mittens, gloves, woolen slippers, stocking caps and scarfs for winter. 

++++++++++ 


Went to a Chase Bank a couple weeks ago to see if they'd cash in some coins for me (no) and noticed banks aren't the usual counter set up anymore.  Don't like it.  They have kiosks you can use to bank and a couple bankers standing nearby like a car salesmen.  Change isn't always good.

++++++++++


Spotted on a street in Largo while cruising around in my Pathfinder.  Nice masonic lodge guys and cool old truck.

++++++++++






Any country that raises its flag with such a flourish would be tough in war.  Let's avoid it.


++++++++++




Somewhere in the sky heading to Floriduh on my return trip.  Fun ride in the dark.

++++++++++

I was borderline dehydrated on Christmas morning.  I walked over to the Waterboard gym and treadmilled all through TCM's movie Boys Town and a two-reeler after that called A Star in the Night. I suffered optical water leakage no less than 10 times.  I'm a sucker for sentiment.  I can see scenes 25 times and will still tear up at the usual spots.  And let's not even talk about Going My Way when Father Fitzgibbon's mother walks in during his Christmas sermon whom he has not seen in 45 year.  


++++++++++

I sent my 15th "Thank You" card to Dr. Robert Currie in G-Burg for helping me kick cigarettes on New Year's Day 2000.  Not one puff since.

(There are other things I smoke, but not cigarettes.)

++++++++++



In the last 7-10 days I've been covered with a rash.  Finally went to prompt care because I had nothing else to do, and the Doc, a practically non-English speaking guy named Rafi, didn't know what caused it.  He did however give a kind of grunt when I told him my grandkids had hoof-and-mouth a couple weeks ago.  Hope you had your breakfast oatmeal before you opened this.  If not, sorry.

++++++++++




My mother used to make a kind of oyster stuffing/dressing I liked a lot.  After she died no one picked up the baton and after a disastrous attempt a few years ago tried again this Christmas.  I cobbled together a couple recipes and you know what?  I scored!  It was just like Marj's and flooded my senses with nostalgia and great taste.  I'm available for catering your events.

++++++++++

A couple weeks ago we had a good old fashioned anagram temperature between Emerald City in Northlandia and Largo, Florida:  18 - 81.

++++++++++

Where was my head when I thought Billy Jack was a great movie?

++++++++++

It's a crazy time:  4-door pick-up trucks, Trump in the White House, and me calling the daughter for grandkid time at the park on a day off.  

++++++++++

Exciting New Year's around here.  Not even a mile away on Rosery Road which is where Waterboard is, there was a homicide. So that's where all those sirens were going.


++++++++++



Here is the takeoff from QC Airport heading back South.




And the Landing in Clearwater - St. Pete Airport.  Am I the only one who loves these vids?  Frankly, they represent a kind of duality in my life now:  no real home.  I'm thinking about fixing that in some fashion.  But until it happens I will love to leave this place and return North.  And when I am in the North something tugs at me there.  It is a kind of emptiness, but a fullness, too.  A perfect dichotomy to ponder.  If only I had a cold beer and a friend or two at my side.  

Until next week...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant