Skip to main content

Flashback Friday





A few weeks ago I wrapped up my Denver graduate school days and said that that was all I had and there would be no more.  And then I go rifling through a box and find this picture of me and Eddie and his GF Consuela.  I'm not sure where we were but as certain as I can be I believe it was a Mexican restaurant in western Denver.   If I remember correctly it is where I firmly established my dislike for Mexican fare except for a cool little dessert they had.  It was a triangular puffy bread.  You tear off one of the corners and pour honey inside.  It was quite tasty and I have never had once since.  I ask around whenever I am in a Mexican place and everyone seems confused.  

Anyway, we dressed up in the stuff they had handy for other touristas, and they take the picture.  Then they collect a heavy ransom for copies.  Being touristas, of course, everyone pays.  I wonder if the place still exists?  

It was a second in time, away from the grind of study.  Three amigos out for a good time in a South-of-the-Border cantina.  There were more of us in the group and I think Jan was with us too, but she was either shy or didn't have the money.  I think the Calhoun boys were with us, too.  Anyway, this picture could easily be placed in a turn-of-the-century book on the Old West and just might look authentic.  It's a great picture, really.  Everyone looks spot on and I see no discernible snickers.  In fact, Eddie is hamming it up perfectly and Consuelo, dressed as a hooker, is perfectly posed and with an expression of a certain knowing weariness that I so enjoy in my hookers.  Of course, explaining why a Gringo is cavorting with Pancho and his woman may be difficult, but then perhaps maybe not.  The Old West was inhabited by many desperadoes with a kinship to each other.   These desperadoes had a kinship that helped them get through school.

  

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant