Skip to main content

Scavanger Hunt


A few years ago Neighbor Tim and I began placing a wager on the Super Bowl.  I am by nature a temperate soul who abhors vices of any kind, so when he suggested it I was appalled.  However, in the interest of fostering comradeship I acquiesced.  Along the way we each got a little creative with the payouts.  One year Tim paid in coins.  Another in Canadian currency.  I didn't lose often but when I did I tried making it as much fun as possible.  This past year I went with Atlanta and, sadly, lost. 

I bought a tacky Florida clamshell with some trashy crap attached and then bought a small glass bottle with prehistoric shark teeth inside.  The original plan was to put the twenty into the bottle and then glue it onto the clamshell.  However, that plan didn't materialize because I was unable to jam the bill into the hole.  After repeated efforts, even using dish soap for lube, I still couldn't get the bill inside the bottle.  

After some contemplation I decided that maybe a scavenger hunt with our planned bike ride would be a fun way to pay out.  With the help of the Wombies we mapped out a route and a few clues.       






I placed the first clue into the glass bottle.  Unfortunately, Neighbor Tim decided to use his drill to open the hole.



The clue was:  Soldiers and Wizards on the left, bullshit on the right; stuck in the middle with you.  Note the black tape on the finger which was the result of the drill accident. 

Soldiers and wizards refers to Roosevelt Military Academy and the fact I call Aledo Emerald City which is where the wizard lives in Wizard of Oz.  Bullshit refers to New Windsor where the World's Biggest Little rodeo is, thus stuck in the middle, according to the map is Viola.

The next clue was something like: Betcha a "Dollar"  "Rocks and Roll teen angels will guide you to your next clue. 





Behind Dollar General in Viola is the cemetery.  At the back is a pile of rocks where we placed heads of two kids, one had the next clue inside.





So far, so good.  Neighbor Tim did a great job putting it all together.  The teen angel at the cemetery clue called for a higher education at "college" and sometimes all you need to know is right under your ass.    




There is a bar on College Avenue in Emerald City and it didn't take Tim long to start looking under the stools stools.



Bingo!

The final clue was to send Tim to Keithsburg.  Unfortunately, a beer led to a few more and the hunt ended at Beer Bellies.  Had we finished this is what Tim would have discovered. 



The last clue would have sent to a place that helps guide barges from the rocky shores.  This is the old Lighthouse bar and grille at the river's edge.  Had Tim climbed off his bike and investigated, he would have seen the following.  


On a window facing the river was this final clue:  a coaster.




At this point I was going to reach in my pocket and hand the Victor a $20.  It was a fun project and Tim was a good sport.  Can't beat a scavenger hunt, good company, a bike ride, cold beer and new cash.    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant