Skip to main content

Irmageddon



Irmageddon








4:00 am, Saturday, Largo, FL.

Instead of walking this morning like I usually do, I decided to take my bicycle around the large (3 miles) block of my apartment building.  There were few cars on the road but when I did see them they were police cars or ambulances.  The weather was quiet and calm.  I did notice that it had rained just a bit as I saw drops on the cars.  

As I rounded the third leg I noticed many many more cars at Largo High school which is serving as a shelter.  At the entrance were two police cars with their lights on - I asked one of them if the shelter was closed and he said no.  I called Kenze and recommended they go to a shelter or come over to Waterboard as it has few windows and good block style construction.  Last minute panic, I guess.  Brendan has decided to stay in St. Pete, thumb his nose at the whole thing and make fun of us who are just a bit on edge.

According to the latest news it looks like St. Petersburg may get a direct hit. That means we will, too.  They are saying the activity will commence this afternoon, some six hours away.  It's do or die time, so to speak.  Once this thing starts it will be impossible to move.  Either shelter this morning or ride it out wherever you are. 

More than likely the power will go out later today.  I will try to post as much as possible until that moment.  Last night I had a nice meatloaf supper I found at the grocery store and a bowl of Dutch Chocolate ice cream.  Fight or flight - or eat.






All remains quiet, sunny and calm.  It is another Florida day - too hot, too humid, too crowded.  If you weren't inundated by it on TV and grocery shelves and a kind of mob fright you would think nothing was going to happen in a few hours.  The forecasters have been going back and forth between right side center and left side of state.  Right now, at the time of this video - all is normal.




About 14 hours later everyone is saying it is too late to leave.  Hunker down where you are.  There is no gas and all roads leading north are jam packed.  The Sutors from Tybee Island, Georgia were told to evacuate and headed inland to South Carolina.  As I understand it they spent 6 hours in what is normally a 3 hour trip.  Bumper to bumper, stop and go.  

We will be bunkering at Kenzie's house after I suggested they go to a nearby shelter.  While I didn't expect them to do it, I felt it was my duty to suggest it.  The advantage of Kenzie's place of course is room.  Plenty of space for people to retire somewhere and nap.  It is less disruptive for the kids and they have two refrigerators.  We have enough food, it looks like, to last nine months.  If the hurricane doesn't get us, maybe the monotony of Bel-Vita crackers will. 




As I left Waterboard to head over to the Bunker, I noticed this poor Jeep - left open to the upcoming storm.




Norah awaiting Irma.




This would be our vantage point - the garage door is open and we have seats to watch the show.  If the rain stays north-south we can hunker here.   If it blows from an east-west direction we'll drown. 

OK, Irma.  Let's see what you've got.  Keep in mind we are Mid-westerners and not easily impressed by flash.  We'll stand on the front porch and watch a tornado dance and yield to the storm cellar only at the last moment.  Bottled water, check.  Non-perishable food, check.  Mattresses ready at the windows, check.  Snacks of every variety, check.  Ready, Irma, we're waiting. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant