Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


"Some time ago I read a column on the schooling of blacks written by Walter Williams, the black economist at George Mason University, who grew up in the black housing projects of Philadelphia in the Thirties. I have read Williams for years. He is an absolutely reliable witness. He reports that all the kids could read, and that classrooms were orderly and teachers respected. Today, by all reports, in the urban black schools the kids can’t read and chaos reigns. Black kids have not gotten stupider since the Thirties. Something is wrong somewhere.
I read similar stories about chaotic, violent, illiterate Latino kids in American schools, these things being attributed to low intelligence. I live in Mexico, and see nothing even faintly resembling these stories. The statistics agree. (Mexican literacy, CIA FactBook: 95%. American literacy, US Department of Education: 86%) Something is wrong somewhere."

Fred Reed


++++++++++


When I was a child I would lie on my back and try to find clouds shaped like animals.  The grass would poke my neck and I could smell the grass whilst I took a respite from being a kid.  It seemed like the sky was mine and there was a hidden hand using the billowy white as a my own puppet show.  The quiet peaceful search by young eyes for galloping horses and maybe a giraffe.  The changing shapes amid the azure sky.  And when the show was over I'd get back up on those rested legs and run once again. 


Now that I'm older I look for dicks.

++++++++++



And speaking of dicks...



++++++++++

The permanent move is complete:  Having escaped the rising costs of apartment living (?) the current Mrs. Blythe has now settled in at Sinkhole Estates on Molester Road in Clearwater.   I still consider myself a free agent.   Kitschland vs. Northlandia.  But until a time comes when there will be a permanency in Northlandia I will share this modest abode.




These were taken a few week ago.  All this is the previous owner's furnishings.  

Of particular interest is the previous owners left everything here.  Just walked away.  The furniture is kind of a rattan wicker looking, and nice.  I mean nice.  We looked it up in a furniture store inventory and its an expensive set - couch, two end tables, entertainment center, dining room set, high standing table with four chairs and glass table top.  And that doesn't include the 4 huge padded chairs.  I wonder why they just left it.  What happened was actually four moves in one - getting some stuff to Kenzie, some to Brendan, rest out of the place and then our stuff in.  Weird. huh?


But the best was the 55"  Samsung Smart TV with Ultra HD they left.  They also left bikes, and TV.s in other rooms, too.  Anyone want one?  Apparently the owners decided they wanted to travel and you don't travel with all this stuff.  Sunday I watched Netflix all afternoon on their account.  Yes, I know football was on and baseball too.  But I didn't know how to turn it on to regular TV channels.  Remember when they had a dial with numbers and you'd adjust the rabbit ears for better reception?
    

++++++++++ 

Does anyone make money writing poetry anymore?

++++++++++




After going grocery shopping last week I noticed I had a visitor attached to the cart.  I figured he was along just to soak up some air conditioned coolness.  When I put the cart back in the cart drop-off area, an employee gathered it up and back inside again.  One smart lizard.

++++++++++  



Hey makers of Trojan condoms:  you do know, don't you, that once inside the gates, the Trojans escaped the horse?



++++++++++



In one of the more idiotic remarks I've ever overheard, this douche at Burger King noticed another guy in line with a Cub's cap.  This guy is loud, too loud and starts up a convo with this guy who looks like he just wants to be left alone.  Anyway, the loud ass says, regarding the Cub's playoff games, "I'd rather not be in it than lose in it."   Like I said, one of the more idiotic comments I've heard.  Always, always, always go as far as you can.  Will your heart be broken, likely.  That's all part of the deal.  



++++++++++    


My guess is Puerto Rico will vote for independence once its infrastructure is rebuilt and can find financial allies.  If I were Russia or China I'd be all over that island lending assistance. 

++++++++++

All I can offer you Cubs fans is:


++++++++++


++++++++++



On Saturday, a couple hours before the move I turned the TV on for noise.  This is what I got.  And all things came to a screeching halt while I watched the last half hour of Shawshank Redemption.  Is it the greatest guys (and I don't like those guy and chick flick labels) movie of all time?  I'd offer Lawrence of Arabia as a close second, but yes, I think I would.  

++++++++++


I will be in Northlandia on November 3rd through the 13th.  It would be nice if maybe it was warm enough to get one more good ride in before winter.  Other plans include nighttime picture taking,  a cold beer at the North Henderson Community Center, if its open, and just soaking it all in.  My next trip after that is scheduled for February for 2 or 3 weeks.  


++++++++++ 


Alfred playing around.  Six gallons of fun, run and terror.

++++++++++ 

I'm rooting for the Cubs.  I don't like the Dodgers.  I'm also rooting for Houston.  I don't like the Yankees.  By the way, the Astros came into the National League in '62, same as the Mets.  Cubs - Astros?  Hmmm.  Gotta go National League, right?   

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant