Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


Under "History Is Fun",  this is the Turks and Caicos flag from the 1860's until the 1990's.  Turks and Caicos are southeast of the Bahamas in the Caribbean.  The main industry of the islands is salt, as depicted on the mounds of salt waiting to be placed on board ship.  Oh, wait.  Is that an igloo?   Some 19th century English bureaucrat, who has no idea where the islands were, thought one of the mounds was an igloo so he drew a door on one of the salt mounds.  It stayed that way until a royal visit by the queen in 1966.

++++++++++

  

++++++++++

Adventures In Babysitting 




It started so harmlessly.   It always starts that way.  I knew Norah wanted to do my nails after school as is the custom whenever I go to Northlandia.  I had the bottle of Moonlight Blue on the table.  Miss Alfred wanted to check it out so I decided to do her nails.  After the application, superbly done I might add on such small targets, she was excited and modeled for me.  So far, so good.
 



But, like so many heartaches through history, Alfred got hold of a the bottle and squirreled away behind the large plant in the porch, the same place she, ahem, conducts her constitutionals.  Thus, another unplanned cleanup project.



Alfred now prefers Cool Whip to ice cream.  Another example of "Youth is wasted on the young."

 ++++++++++



++++++++++

Okay, we are mid stay in Northlandia.   Maddie and I are getting along nicely, the Wombies are hopefully warding away seasickness, and my dance card is full.  I wanted to let you know a couple things about upcoming posts.  I am not going through my card of pics.  I do not plan on posting any of them until I get back to Kitschland so I can crop and stuff.  Can't do it on this old laptop.  I've taken some good ones so check back for them when I get back up to speed.  

I also need you to prepare for spotty posts between now and when I get back on the 21st.   

 ++++++++++



++++++++++




Picture from my window seat on Allegiant Flight 870 last Wednesday.  That is a sunny view of seaside Clearwater.





Snowy view from seat number 5 A as we are about to land in Moline.  I'm so giddy I almost wet myself.


++++++++++


++++++++++

Super Bowl Thoughts:

1.  Great game. Period.
2.  Tom Brady may be one of the top 3 best QB's ever.  
3.   Informally I asked everyone in the room what the greatest Rock song ever is:  it was unanimous - Stairway To Heaven.
4.  Commercials, in my opinion, weren't as good as in past years.
5.  Kept my promise of 6 years running - no halftime show for me.
6.  Latin numerals are not my bag.  While classy looking - seem beyond me at this point.
7.  While my homemade brat burgers sucked, the store bought brats were great.
8.  Next year I predict a Bears-Jets Super Bowl.  Hey Trump is in the WH and and getting better polling numbers.  The World is off its axis.  

++++++++++

Why is it in every submarine story involving depth charges, the crew always looks up?  Like they can gain more insight from pipes and rivets over their head than straight in front of them.

++++++++++

  Went yesterday to Gladstone, Oquawka, New Boston, and Keithsburg, camera in hand, looking for bald eagles.  Never saw one.

++++++++++



I'mnot exactly sure I can figure it out.  One of the times I was up here Miss Norah had to have a cat.  OK, so she got one.  One of those freak times when I wasn't there to give my sage advice that a stuffed cat would be a more prudent choice.  I hate real cats.  I,naturally, chastised all the adults when I returned home.  

Yesterday I learned that Miss Alfred had to have a cat.  And so she got one.  In addition to this fiasco, I also heard that son Brendan had adopted his SECOND one as well.

It is true that my offspring aren't in jail, nor are they hooked on oxycontin.  Both hold jobs are supporting their respective families well and support God and Country as well.  They are over the age of consent and are not at the State Bank of Dad on a regular basis so some leeway is required.  But damn if I can figure out how my lessons of cathood in their childhoods were so carelessly ignored.  Might as well drive a stake in my heart.  My God, 5 cats in the family!

When I mentioned this to wicked children, between my tears, and a lament so sorrowful as to make the angels weep, I was told that at least they are Met's fans.  And they are also making sure that there is another generation of Met's fans as well.  

I guess that's something.      


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant