Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits



My favorite tall ship, the privateer Lynx, docked in the St. Pete marina. 

++++++++++




Alfred has been ill and Daddy Drew had the week off so no babysitting!

++++++++++

My idea for a start on changing our politics to Country Before Party:  Term Limits.  Everyone gets 4 years when elected.  Reps, Senators, Pres all get 4 years, and can be re-elected to another 4.  After that you are out.  OUT!

++++++++++

Billpay is a strange but wonderful thing.  I have been using it from my bank on a couple accounts for years.  Never a problem.  I have written before that I didn't quite understand why a bank would provide a free service.  Banks just don't do that.  If your payment doesn't have a digital footprint, they will put a check in an envelope and mail it.

When I told the Wombie about it he was open to it and asked if I would get him signed up for an account he has.  When I found the service on his bank account they had a $5 PER MONTH fee.  Needless to say, I guess not all banks offer it free.

++++++++++   






+++++++++++

Welcome to Trump Bizarroland, Gun Nuts.  Here you thought Obama was going to take your guns and it turned out to be your own little right-wing hack, Trump.  Ha, very funny.  Very bizarre.  


++++++++++




I spotted these rocks lining varying places along a sidewalk in St. Pete.  Very similar to the "Mer-rocks" I saw in Northlandia at Beer Bellies Jason spotted.  Must be an "in" thing right now.  They ended up in the hands of my girls. 



++++++++++

First the bad news:  Vladamir Putin in his annual address stated that they now have ICBM's that can reach anywhere in the world.

The Good News:  in the animated video he played the missiles were headed to Florida.

++++++++++

I'm a big fan of the Fargo TV series.  And while Season 3 may not have been quite as good as the first two, David Thewlis, who played V.M. Vargas, created a very memorable character.



++++++++++


I won't be there but I'll be thinking of all you Northlandia morel mushroom hunters in the coming weeks.

++++++++++

I see this morning Trump said to his base maybe America will someday try a President For Life, like Xi in China.  What a funny funny guy.  Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha, oh my God, my side is splitting.  Ha ha ha ha.

++++++++++



In the Everything Is Temporary department pictures filtered to me from the North.  They are of the Oak View Country Club in Aledo.  A tree bug or virus has decimated the oaks and are being brought down.  No word yet on whether they will change their name to Sky View CC. 











Before



Now



It is a sad scene.  I've been going to this place since I was a kid and was just there a couple weeks ago.  The Club without the majestic oaks is going to take a long time to get used to. 


++++++++++

  

Rusty Staub was one of my favorites as a Met fan.  He was a good hitter.  I actually met the guy in St. Louis.  We were at a Met's-Cards game and I had my Rusty Staub autographed ball glove.  Staub didn't really sign it but back in those days they had a signature etched into the cowhide.  I don't know if they still do that or not.  He was, for a time, an announcer for the Mets and after a bit of beer I decided to try to get  him to sign it.  I went up to the broadcast booth level and a guy stopped me.  I said I had Rusty's glove and asked if I could get someone to take it to him and have him sign it.  The guy told me to stay here and he would get him.  This is the point at which a nice memorable moment could happen - a nice guy comes out and we have a Hallmark moment.  Unfortunately, I guess those just happen on the Hallmark Channel.  He came out kind of huffy and looked at the glove and then disgustedly said, "I thought you said it was my ball glove."  He saw that it was just one of his old ones that had an engraved autograph in the leather, pulled out his Sharpy, signed it and left.  What a jerk.  By the way, he has kidney failure is going to die soon.  I still have the glove but the signature has faded away.    

++++++++++  


++++++++++

And finally, something to ponder as Spring approaches. 




  


    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant