Skip to main content

Senseless Ramblings...

1. Remember: when other Dick Blick packers whisper about some idiot who didn't pack a box correctly, and you look around but see no other idiot, the idiot is you.

2. Tim McCarver grates on my last nerve. Of course I wouldn't be down to my last nerve if it wasn't for Ron Santo.

3. Baby is in storage in Burgess, and Brendan, I have your car. I will try to get it cleaned up for you if we get some warmer weather.

4. Speaking of weather, I drove through a squall of flurries on the way home tonight from work. It was fairly dark and those flakes, those flakes! were coming at me. Those flakes are here again!!

5. Last night was supposed to be the coldest night since April 9 - some 7 months ago.

6. Political question (SKIP IF YOU CAN'T OR DON'T WANT TO BE EXPOSED TO IT). Without getting into a debate, and not wanting to offend anyone, but just when did the word "liberal" equate to scum? Sorry, but I don't get it. This nation has a long distinguished history of conservative and liberal rule. Folks, that's the checks and balance that the writers of the Constitution purposely put in play. So, why is a liberal so defiled and hated by the conservatives. We both need each other to exist, we should celebrate each side as two parts of a Whole. So why do the Conservatives hate Liberals?

"…if by a liberal they mean someone who looks ahead and not behind, someone who welcomes new ideas without rigid reactions, someone who cares about the welfare of the people — their health, their housing, their schools, their jobs, their civil rights, and their civil liberties — someone who believes that we can break through the stalemate and suspicions that grip us in our policies abroad, if that is what they mean by a liberal, then I’m proud to say that I’m a liberal."
John F. Kennedy September 14, 1960 speaking before the New York State Liberal Party

Sounds nice, huh? Nowadays I'm surprised Hannity and Colmes haven't agreed to a duel to the death on the banks of the Waxahachie River. Oh, well, just wondering.

Some of the accomplishments of liberalism:

A 40 hour work week
A minimum wage
Social Security
Safe food
Safe products
Civil rights for all
A balanced Federal budget
Regulation of financial markets
Clean air and water
Federal Deposit Insurance Corp.
The G.I. Bill Of Rights
Overtime pay
Child labor laws
Workers’ compensation
Unemployment insurance
Securities & Exchange Commission
Medicare/Medicaid
Peace Corps
A woman’s right to vote
Student grant and loan programs
Employer paid medical insurance
Employer paid vacations
Employer funded pension plans
Americans With Disabilities Act
Open public national parks

Why the hate? just wondering.

7. My fantasy football teams both won this week. Not decimating, dominating victories, but wins, nonetheless, and I remain first in one and 3rd in the second.

8. By the way, I have voted Republican and Democrat in my time. Different times call for different platforms. I actually got excited and involved in a political campaign once, a long time ago. Shook hands with the candidate and, lying, told him Illinois was firmly in his corner. Barely able to vote myself I was enthralled with Mo Udall, a one-eyed Arizona Senator who ran for the presidency in the '70's. he may have also later been Secretary of the Interior, but not sure.

Comments

  1. dad, you wanna see some hate? Go to your myspace. go to brendan. scroll down him comments until you get to Ms Rachel Beerwart. Go check out her blogs. Ive seen some hate, but never in a million years like she is dishing out... I would think she would be more accepting of "non-white" people in the US?? I guess its not important that I understand!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant