Skip to main content

This and That

A couple of days ago I accidentally cut my thumb with the box cutter I use at the warehouse. It was one of those things that you know is going to bleed, so I immediately went a few steps behind me to a 1st aid box that has band aid an gauze in it. I grabbed a couple items and then walked a considerable distance down a walk way to the bathroom to flush the wound and apply the band aid. Yes, I bled a few drops and I wet a napkin to retrace my steps and clean up the mess.
Well, it was the most excitement I have ever seen there, as I was walking back wiping here and there with my napkin. Little did I know that there are protocols. No one ever informed me that I am to stay where I am if that happens, wait for 1st responders, and then wait some more for haz-mat personnel to come and clean/disinfect the area. I was also told that if my arm is hanging by just a thread, use duct tape and DO NOT GO TO THE EMERGENCY ROOM. Evidently bonuses are predicated on safety goals.
Whoa. Yeah, I should have known, but I operate like an umpire: I consider it a good day if I am not noticed. Oh, and the week before I got a $25.00 gift certificate for being a safe/nonaccident employee for 6 months.

Brendan is coming back to BFE at the end of February. Not sure how long he will stay but it may be a couple weeks. We have to see Aunt Gladys, go to Burgess, check out Buffalo Wild Wings, and maybe, just maybe, go to Florida for a couple of days. It would also be nice if maybe we can get the family together to see him off to England. May the Country Club for supper and a couple of beers. Hint hint.

I have been watching past episodes of HBO's The Sopranos. I'm about to start the 4th season and I love it. The highlight of my days are around bedtime when I watch another hour. I wasn't aware there was so much humor. Of course I never had HBO so I never saw any of the series. It's really addictive, although I could do without the visits to the shrink.

One other can't miss TV show I watch is Friday Night Lights. My guilty pleasure, and I am embarrassed to admit it is with a show Brendan brought with him last time he was here. It is a comedy called Big Bang Theory. Everything about this says I shouldn't like it: it is fairly silly, with characters impossible to imagine, with storylines that are preposterous, and geared toward 13 year olds. But I really like it and laugh out loud, no small accomplishment.

Missy seems to be developing another cyst. She is still spry and seems to defy the aging process (she does sleep a lot, however), but these cysts are troubling. If anyone didn't get the Super Bowl prediction she stars in, let me know and I will email you a copy.

Speaking of the Dick Blick gift certificate...and coupled with a $50.00 rebate from US Cellular for a new phone, looks like I'm getting a sump pump pretty darn cheap here soon.

Noticed the weather for Friday: Galesburg will be 52 degrees and St. Petersburg will be 60. Usually there is a 30 degree difference in winter, but by golly, Florida will be just about as cold as us.

Comments

  1. We were hoping to see Brendan before he took off for England, so yes, definitely. Country club, good, beers, even better!!
    Holly and Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. thank goodness it was only your finger!!1 HAHA. You should definatly plan a trip. Because now I can actually use my PTO!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant