Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1.  Went to the dentist a couple weeks ago ago and I heard right across the hallway a conversation that wet on between one of the dentists and an elderly couple.  She told him she had not been to see a dentist since 1974.  She was simply too scared, and so let it go.  And now, her teeth are in such poor condition her eating is being affected.  Her husband asked good questions, and of course told them not to inflict any pain on her during the examination.  When the dentist said she was looking at extensive work requiring a massive amount of time and money, you could sense him deflate, especially when she was told that most work would amount to $1000 per tooth.  They are in for a rough time, I'm afraid.  By the way, I got a tooth pulled and now Norah and I share the same amount of teeth.

2.  While standing in line at the post office I heard an interesting language being spoken right behind me and I asked them what it was.  She asked me what it sounded like to me, and I said, "Ma'am I barely recognize English down here."  Turned out it was a mix between Ukrainian and Russian.  It was somewhat lilting and pretty, but then just as fast turn harsh and guttural. Something I will never hear again.

3.  Sign spotted at a run-down Knights Inn when we went to Brendan's graduation from Boot Camp:  "No refunds after 15 minutes."

4.  New invention I'm going to make:  1 piece sagger pants,  so you homies don't have to walk down the street looking thuggish holding your pants/pecker, and won't have to worry about the police catching you when you lose your drawers.  I'm going to sew a pair of boxers into a pair of pants 3 sizes too big with the boxer ass-cheek material outside the jeans.  But a hidden belt will be in the boxers to insure you retain all the dignity people have come to expect from you.  True enough, in the paper a few weeks ago was mention of a would-be robber nabbed by the cops because he couldn't carry his loot and hold his pants up fast enough to elude them.

5.  October Is Anti-Bullying Month.  Fight it wherever you see it.  Yes, step in, stand up and matter.  Remember the soldier's words to his buddy in The Last Good Men, something like, "...it was our job to help those who couldn't help themselves."




6.  The last 3-4 weeks of the election will be fun spectator sport.  The desperation, the wild promises from the candidates and PAC's will be better than baseball.

7.  I miss the Fall and pretty soon I will miss Winter.  I wonder how I will feel when I move back?

8.  Recently discovered a great band with catchy tunes and a Southern rock feel to them. Go listen to some of their stuff and see what you think.  Neighbor Tim owing that you like the Kid and some Southern Rock, I will be sending a copy of their stuff to you soon.  Anyway they are called Needtobreathe.  They are from Possum Kingdom, South Carolina and have charted on mainstream rock charts for a couple albums now.  Give 'em a try.  Great stuff.






If these two selections don't get you humming this stuff, then check your pulse.


9.  Oh, my Kingdom for a cold beer and a nice warm fire in the back.  Add hot dogs and and it couldn't get much better.  Add S'mores and I'm in Heaven.

10.  I have given up looking for a new dog, I won't be rescued soon.  Too many obstacles to overcome.  I will simply have to settle for being loved by my two favorite hounds, Sarah and Lily Lu.


Lily Lu sleeping after what looks like a hectic time at Sutor Woods.


Lily Lu getting ready to ride.  No pictures of Sarah lately but will try to get some. 


11.  I swear if I have to see CNN and John King do his frantic mile-a-minute Magic Wall routine again, I'll...I'll.  OK, I'll just sit and take it.  Where else can I get moderately moderate news?

12.  Great weather today:  it was cloudy all day.  Didn't see a lick of blue.  What a relief.

13. Whatever happened to the AIDS epidemic?  Isn't it curious we never hear anything about it anymore?

14.


Best wishes to Darryl Mitchell, the current Mrs. Blythe's brother, for a speedy and successful recovery from what can only be described as a real bitch of an ordeal for the next few weeks.  The above picture are the Mitchell siblings, from left, Patti, Nancy, Darryl, and Carolyn.


15.



  Norah trying on her Halloween costumes.  This one, or this one:



16. 





Reminds me of St. Pete traffic during rush hours.

17.  Hmmm.  Proof Darwin was right?  Or not?  Michael unwittingly reminded me of a famous pose regarding evolution.  Poor Michael, contemplating a YoYo ball at the pumpkin festival in Sarasota which will be featured in an upcoming post.  



















18.  Did you know that that today only 15% of all higher education students reside on campus in college?  Most now are enrolled in online classes and community colleges.  When I was in college I suppose 80% were living on campus attending classes in buildings.   I was amazed at that statistic.

And did you know that in a recent poll 80% of respondents said college wasn't worth it, a complete reversal when I was going?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant