Skip to main content

More Florida

Last week we examined, photographically, some of my reasons why Florida in my neck of the woods is so durn unlovable. And I didn't even get around to the summer heat.   
 
Here are more examples of Florida in my backyard.   



I suspect it helps to be stoned in this state.



A pasture that looks oddly like one in Northlandia is right next to 10 lane Rt. 19 - Death Alley.



Life, even weedy life, clings to whatever purchase it can.   Imagine the very little soil in this open gate piece of steel, then imagine a seedling that came from somewhere and its subsequent germination and life.  



An empty box of condoms I guess is no great thing lying along the sidewalk in the city.  I took a picture of this one since I had passed one previously a block or two back.   A classic example of "Water, water, everywhere, and not a drop to drink."   



The juxtaposition of an adult novelty outlet and barbed wire was simply too good to pass up.  


And besides, Floridians are damn poor parkers.



This picture doesn't do it justice, but invariably at each bus stop the amount of trash and garbage lying on the ground is amazing.  But that doesn't stop the mowing crews who just chop and mulch it it into smaller pieces.  Also, it is amazing that over there just a few steps away is a trash receptacle.  Floridians are pigs.



An example of the above, I saw this the other day on my walk.  I don't know what this means:  can you down  a six-pack before the next bus comes?  







And what's with all the underwear lying around?  I hate feeling like I'm missing out on something, but gee whiz, why is everyone going free-range?   

Having trashed the neighborhood I feel compelled to do my best to find local good things that make living here in bedlam worthwhile.  Look for that post in the next couple of weeks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant