Skip to main content

Graduation


Last Saturday Mackenzie graduated from St. Petersburg College with a bachelor's degree in Management & Organizational Leadership.  Back in my day they just called it Business.  I can't wait till she has the opportunity to get me organized.  

Because we live in a day of Internet and streaming, I had the opportunity to see the ceremony in my cabin in the woods in Emerald City.  Therefore, I gathered family around at 8:30 am and we watched up to the point of her walking across the stage and receiving her diploma.  Then we high-tailed it downtown to the local watering hole, Beer Bellies, where a proud and beaming father bought the house a round.   And yes, there are locals seated at bar stools at 9:30 in the morning. 




In what turned out to be the first party in the cabin, pastries, cappuccino, and coffee were on hand for the assembled guests. 



I used my laptop to dial in the ceremony.  





Guests included S-I-L Holly, Wombie Mark, S-I-L Patti and her companion, Bailey. Funny thing was: the march across the stage was not alphabetical so we really had no idea when she was going to appear. So we were chatting away and then, all of a sudden we heard the Dean say, "Mackenzie Blythe". Seven or so years of studies culminating in a walk across a stage and then it was over.





This is Beer Bellies at 9:30 am on a Saturday. No need to snap a picture of those down there, but I was able to get Butch, the barista and server, and ex-Seatonite, who was more than willing to fix Bloody Mary's for a couple of us, but then we opted for good old cold beer. (I'm sure our new grad wouldn't dare use a grammatically incorrect and woefully run-on sentence like that.) The tab was reasonable, and the euphoria of the moment was such that we decided to stick around a while. This was travel day after all but the plane didn't leave till 5:17 pm so we felt quite comfortable in staying a bit and soaking up the glory of individual success and accomplishment. Congratulations, kid, now go manage and organize this screwed up world.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant