Skip to main content

Our Adventure

Leg 1: Bloomington IL to Atlanta
Brendan and I went to Bloomington on Wednesday night since we didn't want to drive Thursday morning at 2:00 am. We stayed at the Holiday Inn next to the airport and walked over to Wild Buffalo Wings. If Galesburg's is anything (presently under construction near new Wal-Mart/Menards area) like this was, it will be pretty decent. Good food, cold beer, and reasonably priced.
I woke up at 3:00 am and got Brendan up soon after, and over to the airport we went. All was good and weather was cold but OK. Then we got word that there was a problem with the on-board computers. Boarding was delayed by a couple of hours. Brendan had to go up to the information desk and get a pass that put us on a later flight out of Atlanta to Buffalo. But eventually we got going and made it to Atlanta, late but still fresh and roaring to go.

Leg 2: Atlanta to Buffalo
We found the flight and gate from Atlanta and boarded the flight to Buffalo to retrieve little Michael and Alhanna who were being ushered across the border from Canada. I don't remember much from this flight, but it seemed long and I was glad Brendan got a little sleep.

Leg 3: Buffalo to Chicago
We disembarked and scurried to find the kids. We had a little time so we weren't racing. Found the kids, had a good hug as I had not seem them since July of 2007. Michael looked much as I had last seem him, but Alhanna was almost as tall, if not taller than him. Her speech was pretty fluent and was easy to talk to, very much advanced from last year.

Leg 4: Chicago to Tampa
OK, by this time Brendan and I are unravelling. Due to a delay and a longish flight (the pilot had said we would be landing in 15 minutes, but it was more like a half hour) we only had about 10 minutes to find our gate and board. I got a nice dressing down from A Screaming Eagle for being whining and anxious. I'm sure I deserved it. I must have been terrible. Our gate was just down the way a tad so after a pit stop and a brisk walk, we made out gate and flight, and off to sunny Tampa. Michael got a tour of the flight cabin and a set of wings from one of the attendants.

What started at 3:00 am ended at around 11:45 pm. Greeting us at Tampa International was the entire crew of Nancy, Mackenzie and Drew.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant