Skip to main content

Resolutions Resolutely

My daughter's SO, father of Norah, and all around great guy, Drew is a personal trainer.  He hates this time of year because every Tom Dick and Harry has been given a gift card for a workout session, or every Tom Dick And Harry has made a New Year's resolution to lose weight and look buff for the beach.  So, in essence, he has to work harder for a few weeks until Tom Dick and Harry lose motivation and drop out.  

Like I said in the last entry I see a value in making resolutions, New Year's day marks my 11th anniversary for smoking cessation.  Except for a cigar now and again, I have not puffed one cigarette since that day.  It's something I'm proud of and the impetus was born from a resolution.  I believe people can change, but it starts from goal setting, a recognition of one's flaws and a desire to correct it.

One of my new joys is a blog by my friend Jeff Sutor called Bodine-DILLIGAF.  I don't know if he wants me to discuss it here or not, but I would recommend all of you check it out: http://bodinedilligaf.blogspot.com/
If he doesn't want me to discuss his blog, why, then, D-I-L-L-I-G-A-F?


He talks about resolutions and how they are generally crap.  He is right about that because we as individuals sometimes lack the will to continue with difficult assignments.  He says all we have is "today" so why focus on tomorrow.  He's right about that as well.  We never have tomorrows, now do we.  They are always like the song says, ..."a day away".  But what we do have is the ability to prepare.  One of my favorite mantras is "Preparation Is Everything".   Before new Year's Day 11 years ago, I was prepared.  I had seen my doctor and he gave me a prescription for Wellbutrin, which at that time was considered a successful way to stop smoking.  I had a glass jar with old butts sitting in water, as a visual of what my lungs might look like.  I had a memory of my pal Mike Johnson whose smoking had contributed to his early death, and I had a bank account that suffered under the weight of increasing price hikes for tobacco products.  It worked.  I used swizzle sticks as pacifiers and since that day I have sat back and watched as Holly, Marvin, Mark, Nancy and others have stopped the habit as well.

I believe as fervently as Scrooge that all it takes is an awakening to change ourselves into a new, improved version.  With that, this is what I intend to accomplish this new year.

A.  Paint more.  I used to paint fairly often, and did it more for my pleasure than for any commercial recognition.  I have set up a painting nook in the Lanai room and have replaced old tubes with new and have plenty of canvas.  I hope to complete 12 - 15 paintings this year.

B.  Lose weight.  Yeah, yeah, but I mean it this time.  My feet are getting farther away.

C.  I hope to become less retired or less unemployed.  I'm not quite ready for the rocking chair and I discovered bagging groceries was not my field.  There's some out there that will give me a little pocket money and at the same time personal satisfaction.    

D.  It has been (in March) three years since Missy died.  I have missed my old friend and she would want me to find another, so sometime this year I will have a new pooch.

E.  Continue blogging.  Perhaps the Monday through Friday will have to be revamped at some point, but until then, keep blogging on.  One of the new features will be an occasional treatise on certain philosophical precepts.  I studied this area in college and graduate school and I am rusty.  In re-educating myself I hope to boil down different philosophies so that it is no longer the inaccessible.  Hey, if I can understand it, you can too.  You'll see.

So, go on over and read what is on Jeff's mind, and then sit down and come up with a couple of things to make you better for 2012.  I wish us all joy, prosperity and health.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant