Skip to main content

Rally On The River

One of the reasons I chose this part of June to travel north was to attend the Rally On The River, aka, Sturgis On The River bike get-together.  I wanted to ride with my peeps from BFE and enjoy some of the past attractions, such as the "Ring of Death" bike daredevil act we saw 4 years ago. 

After making it over to BFE from Aledo, and yes, my ass still aching, Tim and the McCutcheons and I met some other nice folks, Misha (?), and her hubby Dale (?) and Misha's sister Diane.   We then went over to the Wataga Fireman's Pancake breakfast.  I used to love pancake brekfasts' from all the small local towns.  Still do.  You get great value for your money, and good food, too.  My extra bonus this year was in seeing my old buddy Alan "Tech" Huls,  who I used to work with at Blick Art materials.  It was great to see him and his grandson doing well.  

After that it was on to the Quad-Cities on this rainy looking Saturday.  




We arrived around 10:30 and noticed something.  No one was here.  Someone was screeching into the mic on stage doing endless testing to an empty venue. 


From left:  Rick McCutcheon, his lovely wife, Jen, Tim and Diane. 


No daredevil act that we could see, just vendors wanting to sell stuff.  Since I don't have leathers, or a vest, or much of anything having to do with the biking culture, I pretty much just looked around.


Yeah, OK, the skies were threatening, but geez, if we could make it from Galesburg, where was everyone else?  Perhaps the night show brings them out.  


A lone bike sits near the Porta-Potties.  Must be a Honda. 


Rick looks like he can't find that perfect Harley item.  Tim behind him will buy a few items to add to his vest.  Cool looking vest, but my head isn't shaped for a dew rag like his.   


In what remains my favorite saying on a biker T-shirt, the ever popular and if not new, "If You Can Read This The Bitch Fell Off".


An unusual paint job and rather psychedelic, I'm not sure I like it.


The roiling and high Mississippi.


Bridges on either side. Nice place to have this event.  




Smile!


And time to stop in for a beer at the local saloon.

So it wasn't the most fun I've ever had, but riding with your buddies is always worth it and the highlight of the day.  We would travel south to Viola where everyone would stop at another bar, but I had received messages that a special lady, Miss Frump, and my nephew and his family from Kansas City had arrived.  If I was going to be part of all that I needed to get going.  

So back to Aledo.  As luck would have it,  I would later head back to BFE to pick up my luggage and travel to Knoxville to stay at Pat's place for the night.   I wanted to clear out of Mark and Holly's so they could enjoy the family without the weird Uncle hiding in the corners.  Root beer floats!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant