Skip to main content

Travel Day





Today is travel day.  

I will be in Northlandia for at least 2 weeks to care for Miss Maddie whilst her folks are on a cruise.  We are old buddies - I took care of her for a few days a couple years ago when Mr. and Mrs. Wombie went to Colorado.  

The usual things will guide my activities when I let Miss Maddie enjoy some free time.  Naturally the scrumptious Midwestern cuisine that you can't get in Kitschland always plays a role: tenderloins, pea salad, LaGondola torpedo, and Jerry's pizza.  I hope for a stop at Beer Bellies to see some of the Wombie's buddies who are gracious and generous when I arrive.   And to North Henderson Community Center to see a particularly good pal.  I need to check on Miss Frump who is in storage in G-Burg and breakfast with the girls.

Like some dumb fish swimming against the stream or those mindlessly compliant migratory fowl my need to head Northward is unwavering.  North is fun, family and friends; here is kid adoration.  So far the scales are even - but the tug gets harder to ignore.

One other thing about my trip Northward.  I hope to see some snow.  An inch would be nice, 10 would be better.  I have some ideas for picture taking so I hope to do some of that while back, too.  The other day, the present Mrs. Blythe, somewhat contemptuously told me I was a "Mercer County boy",  referring to my lack of love for Kitschland.  She might have thought that was a little insulting, but it was music to my ears.





And so, while you read this and have your morning coffee and grits, I will be preparing for a trip.  Because it is travel day perhaps some coffee in the morning and a small breakfast.  It is a Mike thing.  Anything that goes, does so in my backpack - no suitcases.  My boarding pass, printed out and placed in the front-zippered sleeve.  A creeping apprehension for all things airport, and yet I have never had any problems.  I will head there arrive long before I need to - it's a Mike thing.

Faunch here or faunch at the airport.      





Around 4 I'll land with hugs for Mr. And Mrs. Wombie.  They are like my Welcome To Northlandia signs they post when crossing state lines.  When I see them I'll know I am in good hands.  

I can't wait to have a beer or Bloody Mary at the NHCC.  When I am with Tim, I am with a true friend.  I can't wait to see Danny, Mike, Con and the BB gang.  I can't wait see Pat and Rebecca.  I can't wait to see those gray trees and dirty Illinois fields and roadways.  I can't wait to breathe in the air that fills my lungs and tops off my soul.  I can't wait to see the dark sky with the millions of stars.    

You see, the present Mrs. Blythe thinks I am nuts to love it all so.  Florida is warm.  It is also busy, noisy, angry.  At 4 I will be able to utter my three favorite words, "I am home." 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant