Skip to main content

Inane Inanities

1.  It is my contention that the "dumbing down" of America was ushered in by the inception of Wal-Mart.  As soon as they proved we would flock to buy embarrassingly second-rate products,  then everything in America became second-rate.  Business, entertainment, news organizations,  manufacturing, the works began creating an inferior product because they knew then we would sacrifice quality to save a dollar.  No longer are homes individual and distinctive.  Need curtains?  Go to Wal-Mart and grab a set - no matter if it is cheaply made and just like all your neighbors - hey, it's only $19.99.

By the way, I am in month 10 of my Wal-Mart boycott.  I no longer stand in line for 35 minutes with only 2 check-out aisles for 50 people.  They DO NOT care about you, the customer.  Rant over.


Rant continues:
In an age of customer service Wal-Mart continues to politely say "F--- y--" to the denizens of their store.  Ever count the number of check-out isles, and then see how many are being used and the number of poor hapless souls having to wait an eternity to check out?  But they don't care.  They know you will pony up and take it.  The above picture was taken last week (I accompany but I don't buy) and there were two lanes open with upwards of 30 people standing in those lanes waiting, and waiting, and waiting.   



2.  You see all kinds of characters in the city.


This transvestite was strolling outside our breakfast spot one Sunday morning.


This fellow, bedecked in a flowing white hooded robe was walking along carrying a cross with an Israeli flag attached.  It was during Tropical Storm Debby, so perhaps he was just signaling the end of the world.  


 Here is a closer look. 

3.  I made it to the Tampa IKEA a few weeks ago.  Amazing place.  Amazing stuff.  Amazing.   


IKEA - It's what Wal-Mart wanted to be but didn't have the vision, didn't care about customer satisfaction, decided on crap quality, and couldn't care less about your shopping experience.  


Norah trying out a bed. 

OK, perhaps I should explain.  Think Wal-Mart but with class, concern for the customer, better products, unique merchandise,  and pretty decent prices.  You follow a path through bedrooms, kitchens sets all furnished with their products.  Grab stuff and put in your cart, and with bigger items, you pick them up near the cash registers.  I swear you won't find this stuff in your local Target, Wal-Mart or Sears.  Quality stuff that looks like it will outlive you.  Be prepared when you go, though, it's crowded and confusing first time you are there. 

4.  Just a note to my friends who know who they are.  They help me when I give them the opportunity.  Guys don't say it to their buddies, but thanks for taking me in their circles when they didn't have to expend the energy, accept my ideas, opinions and obsessions when it may not jive with theirs,  continue to keep me in their worlds when I'm a world away, who teach me openness, paying it forward, kindness, sacrifice, good thinking and laughter.  I love you guys. 

5.  


Watching kids learn the art of walking is fun.  It's geometry, balance, ballet, centrifugal force - all without much outward thought or teaching.

6.  One of my simple pleasures is dying.  I used to have a change jar and after 6 or 7 months I'd cash it in and get anywhere between $70 and a $100 dollars.  With the advent of the debit card, I have less cash and thus, less change.  It was like getting free money or finding that stash you had slipped somewhere secret.

7.  As many of you know, I am returning north for a week visit.  I am contemplating driving  my motorcycle.  It depends on a number of things, however, such as stamina, weather, and how do I return?  It would be a long haul through densely populated areas unless there are alternative routes, the kind where I wouldn't have to worry about gas or motels.  I have the use of a bike up there if I fly (thanks friend) but it dawned on me, why not turn the trip into something more fun?  The problem is:  I may be too wore out for the return journey.  Then I'd be down here without the bike.


Another factor is I have already ordered my airline tickets and I used flex plan but not sure how that works.  If I can't get out of them, then my choice will be easy.  Ready for another adventure, Mike?  Maybe...just maybe.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant