Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

Here are a couple of innovations that didn't last in the car industry.  I have talked before about why they ever eliminated the small side window cars used to have.  and the rain vent/channel above the windows.  Here they are on my old Dodge.


The small vent window woulod let you direct some air in and you could control how much.  The rain channel would allow you to open the window without getting a lap full of water like today's cars. 



I was thinking of some more and came up with the side turn light.  It would allow you the ability to see where you were turning the car.  I wonder how many pedestrians were saved from getting hit.  


Maybe not as big of a loss as the other items above but definitely cool was this unique and innovative way to gas up your car.  No unsightly gas door on the side and certainly no gas stains running down the quarter panel.  All of these ideas are now gone from cars.  Too bad.  


++++++++++

If you think Global Warming is some kind of liberal ploy to make money for do-gooder companies or deny the science outright, you are an idiot.

If you think all the news you see on Facebook and other media is true and you fail to verify where it comes from, and you pass it on as true, you are an idiot.

If you can't wait to see the next episode of Springer, you are an idiot.

If you do a blog for almost 10 years and think it is in the least bit relevant or important, you are an idiot.


++++++++++


Ever wonder why barns are painted red?  It is because the color is the cheapest.  Why is it the cheapest?  Because what makes red paint is red ochre.  Red ochre is Fe2O3, iron and oxygen which absorbs green, yellow and blue which is red.  It is cheap because it is plentiful.  It is the really plentiful because of nuclear fusion in dying stars.  "The only thing holding the star up was the energy of the fusion reactions, so as power level goes down the star gets smaller.  It shrinks.  It then begins to get cooler which starts more reactions, and on and on and produces more heavy elements.  That is until it reaches 56.  At that point the reaction stops producing any energy at all, then the star shuts down and collapses totally."  As soon as the star hits 56, which is the number of neutrons and protons in an atom,  it produces iron.  Iron is the most readily available substance in the universe, including earth.

++++++++++



While walking the neighborhood taking pictures (a bust) I spotted this sports car at Wawa.  I wandered over and asked the lucky owner and he said it was a Jaguar.  Don't know much about them, but if I had one I wouldn't plaster wrap all over it like this jerk.  What is Mynt anyway?

++++++++++



This is how a kindergartner studies math these days.  Maybe if I'd had a computer to help me instead of an ever-increasingly exasperated math whiz like my Dad I would have done better.  To this day I can still hear the wheez in his throat when he realized his efforts were wasted.  

++++++++++





Babysitting during Thanksgiving break was wild.  I get 2 weeks of it when I return South.  Oh the humanity.

++++++++++




I hear we have another Cardinal fan reading BFE.  Good guy and friend to all of the Blythe boys. "All Are Welcome."






++++++++++


The Cabin in the Woods has been fairly tolerable for heat.  Once I get a fire going in the cookstove it warms things up nicely.  My bearskin coat helps when I have to go to town to trade and my boots keep my feet dry.  Sure gonna be a long winter if it stays this cold.  Better stock up on the hardtack and jerky.  


++++++++++


Cruised to Mount Pleasant, Iowa last week.  Home of Jerry's Pizza and what's that other place, hmmm, ah yes, Iowa Wesleyan University.  Thankfully old Mr. Harlan, early Professor, President and Lincoln crony, was dressed appropriately for the cold cold day.

++++++++++


Seen in Oquawka.  Yes, we have a divided country. And with all the Confederate flags flying in this village, perhaps never so divided since the Civil War.  I didn't vote for you Mr. Trump, but if you can fix this thing then I'll be at the head of the parade. 

++++++++++

Started having charging problems with my Kindle.  It kept losing juice. I got it years ago when they first came out and just figured their charging power diminishes with age.  So I got on line and ordered a new one with the lighted screen, the Paperwhite model.  Found out later I had the Wi-Fi on which depletes power a lot faster.  Hate spending money needlessly.  Oh well.  My little light that attaches to my old one is starting to dim so there you are.  Justification 101.

++++++++++

Finally, short videos of my takeoff and landing from Clearwater-St. Pete International to Moline last December 3rd.  I never tire of the rush a takeoff and landing instills in me.  Especially on Allegiant, statistically the most dangerous airline in America.  This time I had no one next to me.  Nice. That and an exit seat that means I could really stretch out.   









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant