Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits


Tuesday Tidbits

A compendium of things I've done, seen, or found this week while out and about or online.  I may or may not agree with any editorial or political entry.

Don't get mad at me, I'm just the messenger.

++++++++++




Social media through our phones should be turned off in movie theaters, restaurants, cars, sidewalks, stores, during sex and anytime more than two people congregate.  


++++++++++



This week I really needed one of these to get away.  What I wouldn't give to have this for about 3 or 4 days.

++++++++++ 


“People who boast about their I.Q. are losers.” – Stephen Hawking


++++++++++




Me in most social situations.

++++++++++




++++++++++


You Won't See This On Fox News




If only we could come up with a name for it.


How about The White House?

++++++++++

For those of you who have been flooding me for info on my adopted tall ship. the Privateer Lynx, who spends winters here.



"From the quarter deck of Lynx, the Galveston Tall Ships still on anchor waiting for winds of 30 to lay down before docking.  oliver hazard Perry with Kevin Wells in command, a fellow Portsmouth NH guy, Picton Castle, Lunenburg, NS and from the Netherlands Oosterscheide, When ans If, Key West is along side.  Lynx had a sporty 700 mile run from St. Pete, 5 days and 5 nights.  All's well, see you on deck."



This is the Lynx on New Year's Day in the St. Pete Marina.  To the left is the northern point of the Vinoy Park.


++++++++++  








++++++++++

Why does Jeb invade my dreams at night?

++++++++++


Look at these faces.  Who do you think will win?

++++++++++


"He stood at the window of the empty cafe and watched the activities in the square and he said that it was good that God kept the truths of life from the young as they were starting out or else they’d have no heart to start at all."
Cormac McCarthy, All the Pretty Horses 

++++++++++

State-run Fox New's Shep Smith is juuuust itching to get his ass fired.  He will discover that they are about agendas, not truth.  In fact, Hannity and trump were talking about him last week.  It's gonna happen.

++++++++++

I have, temporarily abandoned my brief fling with Wordpress as a new home to Existing In BFE.  Blogger seems to be screwing up more often these days on my text.  For example I noticed "Mississippi.  Wet" was issing from last Friday's Flashback post.  I noticed it rather late but the harm was done.  (Studies have found that both of my readers view the blog between 5:30 and 6:30 each morning.)  Wordpress is complicated.  Or simple, I'm not sure.  So far, anyway, it's beyond me.  Maybe I'll just figure this site out before I pack my bags and go somewhere else.  Certainly don't want to lose my two readers.

++++++++++

    In preparation for my annual physical with Dr. Billy "Stretch" Ballsack, I had to go to the lab and give them some blood.  While going up the elevator I rode with two people.  One was a giant black guy and the other a small Asian lady.  The silence was uncomfortable so I said, "Well, it's Hump Day."  The little Asian lady turned on me and said, "It's not for me!  I just started yesterday and I've got a whole week to go."  Wow.  The giant black guy wisely kept quiet.  

Turned out the giant black guy was my lab tech - the guy who was going to take my vital red juices.  He got me seated and I tried making a joke about the chair.  Nothing.  He tied the rubber tourniquet around my arm and then started talking bassaball.  Talking some shit about Golden State and someone this and someone that.  Anyone who knows me, or those that don't, know I hate bassaball.  But I fake it and say "Yeah, Golden State has it all. Man, those guys sure are good at what they do."  He kind of grunted in assent and then said he played bassaball and football and I asked which was he better in and he said both.  So much for humility.  

He must be better at bassaball and football than he is at drawing blood:  he forgot the tourniquet and the urine specimen.  Good thing I was paying attention.  Stretch would have been pissed at no piss.

++++++++++

As I write this section on Saturday morning I see the Mets are 5-1, the Cubs and Cards are 3-4.  Mike about to get cocky until he hears a voice saying "Sample size, sample size." 

   ++++++++++





There are lots of things I could say about this seemingly nice guy who was in at Petsmart bonding with a snake before, presumably spending good money for it.  I am not a lover of snakes.  In fact, I have a personal dictum (it just came to me, I think it is a word, but it sure sounds naughty) that I do not watch nature shows where animals are feasting on other animals.  Not my thing.  I do, however, readjust my dictum (oooooh) when it comes to animals eating snakes.  Then I move my chair up to the screen as close as I can get, start slavering, clutch my dictum and watch the show. 


++++++++++

Reason #2189 to Hate Kitschland


I'm used to flies on my screen door, not lizards.

++++++++++


Did you know all mammals 'cept one pass gas?  That honor goes to the sloth whose metabolism is so slow that stomach gasses are simply absorbed rather than having to escape the body.  Octopuses, or is it Octopi?, don't but snakes do.  Nobody knows if spiders do or not.  Herring fart to communicate, much like some fraternities.  Birds don't but many dinosaurs did.  


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant