Skip to main content

Flashback Friday



"Whitestown Jan 5th 62

Dear Friend

At the commencement of the new year I thought I would write to you I had a very pleasant ride home I got home about half past six o'clock they were somewhat surprised to see me come in I didn't write and let them know I was coming.  It has been very sickly here, lately there has been a great many cases of diphtheria & black measles both at one time. 






In a great many instances it proves fatal I go to school to Whitestown seminary and board at home.  I have a horse to drive it is a pleasant ride every night and morning only three miles and a half I have four studies it takes me until 12 oclock most every night to get my lessons we had company Christmas, new years day I took a ride there was eight of us in one sleigh.  we had a grand time new years eave went to a party  







Last night went to a singing school I am bound for a donation.  next Wednesday evening they have put me on the committee.  How are you enjoying this new year(are the girls all bossy as the devil) or are they dried up How do you like the (Se????) school Have you been to an m??? sac???? since I left how is Mai?? Pratt give my best respects to her and all that  enquire about me what is Bessy about







When you write tell all the news do not follow my example but write a good long letter There has been a large fire in Whitesboro since I came home less? about $19,000 dollars  Please direct to Whitestown Oneida County NY

Write soon
From Seth Whitehead

PS There is a lady attending school at Whitestown by the name of Almy


++++++++++

Letter writing.  A lost art which will never return, except in the next World War when the grid is wiped out and Bic makes a big comeback.  

We accumulate things in life and sometimes we find things tucked away and can't figure out where it came from or how you came to own it.  The above letter is one such item.  Don't have a clue.  I also don't know if it is from either side of the family or if I got it from Ebay or some such thing.  I can't imagine paying for this since it has nothing to do with anything.  I'm thinking family.  I tried locating this guy near Whitestown, New York but had no luck.  It will remain a mystery.

Letter writing as I have postulated many times on this site should be brought back into vogue.  It makes us think, and use our penmanship.  It forces us to construct complete sentences without using 4 as for or ur for your.   We should be told, by government, to write so many letters per year for a reduction of our taxes.  Speaking of taxes I finished mine and I'd like to write a letter - alas, if I did then I'd be writing another to the judge attempting to absolve myself of my actions.  

I guess there is nothing stopping us from writing.  Huh, as the guy in the boat said.  Maybe I will start a one man attempt to bring back the art of letters.  Just you watch.   And by the way, did ole Seth have a thing for Almy?  Watch out for those horny Seminarians.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant