Skip to main content

I Got An iPhone

My HTC Eris, which was still under warranty, developed dead areas on the touchpad.  We rebooted at Verizon but that proved fruitless so they offered me a replacement or an iPhone at a reduced price.  Because I am on Mackenzie's account because it reduces the cost for both of us, and since she gets further company discounts through New York Store, I took the plunge and went Apple.


The thing is made of glass instead of plastic, and has a heft to it my Eris didn't.  Don't worry about breaking it, though, because it is the stuff they make helicopter windshields out of: 20 times stiffer and 30 times harder than plastic.    


The screen graphics, called Retina Display, is clear, crisp, easy to see and read and has more pixel density than any other cell phone, so they say.  The above graphic is from a blog I follow religiously, something called, "Existing In BFE".


It has some pretty neat apps like the Garmin-like navigator mapping system.  It also has a gyro system to make gaming more interesting, although solitaire is about the only game I need.


One of the best features is the camera.  My Eris camera was a real bear to operate.  When I pushed on the shutter button there was a lag of about a second that caused all my pictures to be fuzzy due to hand movement.  With the 5 mega-pixel iPhone camera snapping a pic is instantaneous and easy.


And if you need to see closer just do a thumb/forefinger sweep and the pic gets closer.  The thing is heavy, the apps numerous, the navigation is easy and simple.  The battery life is excellent.  Mackenzie was eligible for upgrading so she got one, too, and we both think they are great.  Oh, I almost forgot, you can use it for a phone, too.   



Things I Like:

  • Retina Display makes viewing screen better than my old Android
  • It has a "Find My Phone" feature that shows a map where i left my phone
  • Surfing on the net is easy
  • Easier to navigate
  • Better camera and shutter than my HTC
  • Bigger Qwerty so I make less mistakes
  • Battery lasts longer than my old phone
  • Hardened glass construction feels more substantial than my old plastic phone
  • I can raise my nose with snooty Apple superiority when I hear others talk about their Androids   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant