Skip to main content

The Wedding

The big night arrives and I head down to Peoria to join in the reception festivities. Yup, got lost somehow but eventual found the place. Tim and Carrie are my old neighbors from my exile to North Henderson. They and the McCutcheons and the McVeys were folks I rode with and, with some luck, will again.
Great people and very pleased I made the effort to travel back for this one. Time is short (and getting shorter) and one should not miss the special occasions that bring friends together.


Walk in the door and these two delinquents were the first to spot me.  Lord.  Richard (Getdrunk) and Logan (Hippie) neither one could find their way out of a paper sack, but apparently were assisted to look almost kind of nice for this shindig.  


The reception was nice with lots of old friends.  Apparently everyone had had enough of me as they seem to have left me in the corner.


Rod and Diane McVey.  Rod is too nice for his own good, and Diane usually walks around with assorted critters in her pockets and God knows where else.  Sugar Gliders, deranged chihuahuas and Boner the Wonder Pup are part of her menagerie. 



That's Ciji, about to make another beer run.


Rod is one of the most knowledgeable people about all kinds of things.  He is a treasure hunter as well, and rides a new Harley.


There's Ciji again with beer firmly clutched in her hand.  


The bride singing and pretty well, too.


Here's Getdrunk again, masquerading as someone "cool".  Doesn't work with you, kid.


Ah, Tim and his mother singing a duet.  I like her. 


Hmmm, there's Ciji spotting an opening at the free beer line, and Rick's either dozing or zipping his pants??


After pleading and several beers, Rick finally danced with his lovely and charming wife, Jen.  Jen was a special friend during my days at Blick.  Always cheerful, and always fun.


Rod, Diane, Ciji (with beer close by) Meghan and Jen.


Did I mention how lovely the bride was.  I'm not exactly sure what I said, but perhaps it may have been the camera that caused this regal and charming pose.




The gentleman in the center is Dewitt, Tim's Uncle from California who is interesting in his own right.  Career Navy man with many good stories. Ah, and there's Ciji looking like the beer is catching up to her.   


Ciji and Jen.


Meghan is Rick and Jen's daughter.  A real cutie, hope I'm spelling her name correctly.  


The groom mingling with the crowd.


Rick, who is another special friend, can't stand his picture being taken.  I have tried to teach him to just suck it up and take it so folks can have remembrances, but he spurns that notion, so most of the pictures I have of him he is displaying a two finger salute.  Alas, I can't do a  thing with him.

The following day I headed back to Florida and missing everyone once again.  It is no secret that I have 5 toes back in Illinois and 5 in Florida.  I don't know what the future will bring, but perhaps the "circle of life" will bring me back to these friends again someday.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant