Skip to main content

Saturday Night


This is where I camped out for my 3 nights. Pat Johnson, who I have discussed here many times before just can't get enough of me. Great friend and I'm lucky enough that she doesn't bitch to me when I ask her to do stuff for me. She has a wonderfully warm house full of family pictures and memories and she put me up for my stay down here in the basement. usually I stay at Mark and Holly's but most of my business was centered around G-Burg so she was the lucky winner of ...me!


I had some time to spend before the block Christmas Party so I went to Chambers Street and visited with my buddies from the old neighborhood. This is a view from Marty's house looking up the the Makeever's on the left and our old place on the right.


On my way to the Knox College Field house for the Blick party, I stopped to get a picture of the old locomotive lit up for the holidays which is a traditional sight at the depot area.


Michael and I spent an inordinate amount of time up here with his battery operated 4-wheeler. Good days. And, of course, as luck would have it, good or bad depending on how you view these things, a train passed at this moment. Michael and I loved trains passing by when we'd go up to the depot area. But as a driver in G-Burg, I detest the loud and slow sons-of-bitches. Of course, they mean commerce which is good.


.

Saturday night I went to the Blick Christmas party and saw lots of old friends. My biking buds and fellow NHCC party-goers the McCutcheons were there and others from Blick such as Troy Strode, Jim and Carole Boyer, Tech Huls, Dolly and Sherry Godsil. Also Keith Nyman whose wife Emily works at Blick, found me and we chatted a while. Keith was president of the Western Illinois Antique Auto Club which I am still a member, although have no cars at this time (but I will someday). He told me to swing by his house and look at his Christmas lights. (Thanks again to Judy Clayton who invited me to the shindig as her guest.)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant