Skip to main content

Some Final Thoughts And Pictures From the Trip


Some Final Thoughts And Pictures From the Trip


1.  With only a few sprinkles and ominous skies in Peoria it is really a miracle that in over 2600 miles I was not forced to reduce speed or stop due to rain.  Few things stop bikers, but rain is one of them.  Consider the rainy and unsettled weather conditions throughout the first weeks of June and the enormity of this "luck" becomes all the more apparent.  A true weather miracle.

2.  Mark and Holly remain host and hostess without equal.  They loaned me their wheels, paid for most of the meals, and provided plenty of laughs and a soft bed for the duration. Actually, these guys are crazy nice and ready for road trips in their cool topless Jeep.


And who wouldn't feel right at home (notice the pink flamingo in the corner) in this porch which is the best in Mercer County.  If this picture makes you want to lounge and watch the time go by you can imagine what it is like in real life.  Thanks guys for everything.


3.

People I ran into or actively sought out: Cathy Sergeant (above),  Matt Warnsing, Jim Boyer,  Amber (Fussbottom) at Gimpy's On 150, Robert (Little Bobby) Davis,  Becky Simmons, Shawn McCutcheon, Curt Moran, Danny Lee, Kathy Vaughn, Dorothy Levine, John McClellan, Nick Campagna and Mike Etheridge.  Folks I wanted to see but couldn't:  Ed Johnson, Mike Shane, Phil and Jeanne, Stewart Nyi, Randy Storm. 

4.   Ass-ache is unavoidable.  Marta recommends stopping every so often and stretching the legs.  She is right.

5.  Miss Maddie, Mark and Holly's almost human companion, is a sweetheart.  She is a happy girl who likes to stick to her daily routine.  Funny, when she gets tired in the evening she excuses herself and goes to bed on her own.   




6.  Solo cross-country motorcycling is hard and lonely work.  Counting 2004 I have done 10,000 miles worth of it.  Would I recommend it?  Yes, every time.  But better yet, grab someone and go together.  A shared experience is always preferable.   

7.

Saw this at the Aledo McDonald's while grabbing a coffee and Wi-Fi.  I wonder what she was thinking this morning when she rifled through her dresser and decided this one was the right shirt for the day.

8.


This is Sandburg Mall in Galesburg well into an hour of business.  Plenty of good parking left.  

9.  What's up with those f#@^ing gnats! 

10.  While working at the Knox County Academy for a couple years I met some mighty fine people.  One was Matt Warnsing, who is presently manager of the Northwoods Church Renew Shop in the old Naeir Building in Galesburg.  I had missed Matt on previous trips so I made sure I found him this time to say hello.  He was on the phone so I had an opportunity to look around and spied this candle sitting on one of the shelves.  It reminded me of swimming and fun in Florida so I bought it for the very reasonable price of  $.25.  In fact, I thought it was so reasonable I gave them $.50 just for the heck of it.    



It wasn't till I got it back in the truck that I saw how they painted on a little chest hair.  (You didn't really think I was going to state the obvious, did you?)

11.  One other thing I would recommend while riding in a car or bike is to have some awareness of where you are in any given 10 minute stretch.  If you break down you are going to have to tell someone where you are.  For monetary and time reasons it's nice to think you can get them to you as soon and as accurately as possible.  When I got stranded I was lucky enough to have a "mile-marker" close by.  Most of the time, however, I couldn't tell you within a few miles of where I was.

12.  If there was some way to have human to metal "relations" I would have with a certain Miss Frump.  It is sooooo nice to have an old car again.  I am complete again.  I can meet the Maker, now.   I'm good.   She may be a long way away, but she's mine, and that will make this winter apart bearable.  

13.  Although I don't consider Florida "home", it is always nice to get back to the place that is headquarters until you do get "home".  Your own bed, your own routine, your own place, and, of course, your own 2 year old.  Everyone up North was so great to see again and you guys all made me feel welcome to be back.  In many ways, I'm a very lucky guy.  I have the greatest of friends.  Thank you.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant