Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

I've never understood the phrase, "Take Care."  Which is why I never say it.  Grammatically it doesn't make sense.  "Good Bye" I get.  "See ya later" I get.  "Be Careful" I get that, too.  But how do you take a care?  You can't take a care, it is a non-entity.  Yeah, maybe I have too much time on my hands while "taking care"  of Miss Alfred.


++++++++++



Last Wednesday was a tough day for Alfred.  She went to see the Doc and got 4 shots.  2 in each hip and 1 in the toe.  As you can see she was a bit shell shocked when she arrived at Papa's Daycare.  See the little band aid on her toe?  And if that wasn't enough trauma for one day, she stepped on a sand bur that someone brought into the place.  With all the damage she inflicts on me, I actually felt sorry for her that day.

++++++++++


One of the few advantages of being incarcerated here at Waterboard, besides a roof and a 4 blocks from the grandkidlings, is the gym seen in the above picture.  It is fresh from a remodeling and I have been availing myself of its free use in the wee early morning hours.  There is no one there as I enter to all three TV's going and more often than not one of the treadmills running; left by inconsiderate people who are either too stupid to recognize a good thing or too ignorant to know that all good things can be removed by their owners.  On top of that the remote is never where it is supposed to be.  People.        

++++++++++


Sunday morning I went to St. Pete to take pictures of the North and South Taurids that were peaking that weekend.  As luck would have it the clouds rolled in from the start of my trip.  I did, however, walk out onto the cement pier at Vinoy Park.  This is a picture from my iPhone.  It wasn't this dark but my little sensor couldn't fix the problem.  Pictures from that morning trip will be posted soon. 

The moody atmosphere and the lapping of waves against the pier reminded me of one of my fondly remembered poems.  Poe isn't one of my favorite writers but I always liked the cadence and rhythm of this poem.  Besides being haunting its alliterative nuances make it structurally magnificent.  






++++++++++

I want a president

Zoe Leonard 1992

++++++++++




While strolling Alfred yesterday afternoon I spotted this in the Waterboard parking lot.  By the hubcaps this looks to be a 1979 Pacer.  A great idea poorly executed.  Advertised as an economy car with big car room, it was a kind of fishbowl with all that glass and was either too hot or too cold.  AMC was fading as a manufacturer by now and the quality of these were none too good.  I had one,  but it ended its days after running into a cow just outside Seaton one fateful evening.  

++++++++++

I received this email yesterday:

Dear Registered Voter,

You are currently a registered voter in the State of Florida.  This is a friendly reminder that tomorrow is Election day.  We know that many with bad opinions of Latinos will be voting in large numbers.  Democracy depends on citizens like you - so please vote.

Sincerely

Michael Rivera
Department of Government
University of Texas at Austin

++++++++++

I just wonder how the 2nd most disliked person in America plans on healing our divisions and making us one.

++++++++++


Went to the pound to check out this sweet girl last weekend.  Couldn't pull the trigger but I'm back in the hunt.  

++++++++++

Go Vote!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant