Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits

We are back from a short Thanksgiving week.  Contrary to yesterday's post which was created a while back I am NOT in Northlandia.  I am in never-land: never fun, never cold, never home.


++++++++++

As some of you guys know, the streets down here are paved in copper.  Curb coinage is one of my favorite pastimes and have tried passing that on to others.  Norah spotted her first pennies a while back and now loves the pursuit.

Perhaps one of my finest finds happened during the break.  While taking Alfred to the local park to play in the sand of the volleyball court, I took a seat at a bench not too far away.    



That's my big foot up top and if you look real close to just right-of-center you will see what I saw.



And what I saw was a round object almost totally hidden in the sand.
  


And when I picked it up I saw the nickel that had fallen out of someone's pocket.  In the annals of coinage copping, this is one of my finest finds.

++++++++++






Once again good ole Shep Smith veers from the strict pro-Trump and Republican party lien to tell the truth.  State-run Fox News has been hammering away at some pseudo scandal involving Hillary Clinton (the person Foxers most love to hate) and uranium she supposedly sold Russia for a quid pro quo arrangement for donating to the Clinton Foundation.  Smith, not one to shy away from Fox's BS News propaganda, on the 13th told it like it is.  He said on air that she couldn't have approved it since she wasn't part of the approval process.  Walter Cronkhite and a universe away from the good old days of REAL fair and balanced reporting, would be proud. Of course, the way the Fox base likes to remain in darkness, viewers called for his firing.  Come on over to CNN, NBC, ABC, BBC and any number of real reporting agencies, Shep, you'll like it a lot better.

++++++++++



As a lover of milk, I'll cry over it if I want.

++++++++++




++++++++++

"No snowflake in an avalanche ever feels responsible."

Voltaire

++++++++++





One of the things I'm thankful for this season is this isn't my daughter.

++++++++++


A lottery ticket I received for my birthday was a $20 winner.  Yeah me!  It has been placed in my backpack for my next trip to the Cabin in the Woods.

++++++++++



Once I returned to Kitschland it was time to finish the excellent Gomorra on Netflix.  Nobody does mob like the Italians.  But subtitles aren't for everyone.  With so much junk on TV it is often hard to find really good stuff, but I did.  I'd recommend Ozark to those of you itching to binge.  I won't go into a plot summary but it reminded me just a bit of Breaking Bad.  But it's no knock-off.  It is good in its own right.  Sparkling writing, excellent acting by Jason Batemena and Laura Linney.  If you are taking a pass from It's A Wonderful Life (like I have for 5 years now),  and want some grit instead, check it out.   


++++++++++  

No two flights are ever created equal.  On the trip up to Northlandia this last time I forgot to lower the arm rest and some obese gentleman sat next to me and he and his sweatpants spilled into my space.  Sometimes you get yakkers, and sometimes you get mother's with babies.  You never know.

On the flight back to Kitschland I was in a three row aisle and, woo hoo!, I had the whole palce to myself.      
  


It was great.




I could put my backpack under the other seat next to me and spread out. 



The Wombie, however, broke my cardinal rules on "travel Day": no food or drink prior to the flight.  I attempt to avoid the lavatory trips and walking down the long aisles with everyone staring (an introvert thing).  I am usually successful.  I used the lavatory on the trip from Chicago to Tampa before Hurricane Irma because the plane was almost empty.  And it did it then not out of necessity but to say I did.

But the Wombie insisted on a 'going away' shake from Macky-D's leaving Emerald City and that necessitated a trip in flight.  It was OK, though.  No problems.  

And, because I know some of you really love the take-off's and landings, I give you both.  

         


I have no real idea why I title this Sky King other than the fact I was all by myself in the aisle.  Boy, we sure did like that show when we were kids.  I'll bet it wasn't even half as good as we thought it was.  By the way, the lady across the aisle from me, who also was by herself, appeared to be praying when we took off.  Must have seen those Allegiant mechanical reports. 





I will be buying tickets in the next day or two for my next trip to Northlandia in February to do some dog sitting.  


++++++++++

That's probably enough for now, until next week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant