Skip to main content

December Meteors


In early December I grabbed the camera and headed to the causeway.  You remember that place, right?  Its a land and bridge connection from Clearwater to Tampa.  Next to the 4-way about a 1/3 of the way across is a parking area and walking/biking/jogging bridge perpendicular to the car traffic.  Neat place, really.  I was going after the Geminid meteor showers on the off chance I'd get one.  No such luck but it was a nice night and always fun to be out when the rest of the place is asleep.






The next set of 5 pictures are unremarkable in all ways.  The only reason I am posting them is the little object in the lower right side.  I don't know of any toys or beach items that you light and put them in the water.  Back in my G-Burg days we had a large pond in the back yard that had lit balls that floated for decorative purposes.  Maybe the thing in the water was something like it.  It kind of moved back and forth a bit with the current.  Because my exposures were approximately 20 seconds the light looks elongated.   







I originally thought the light was a reflection from somewhere, and. you know, it might have been.  But it seemed so constant.







It's drifting to the right.







There it goes...







And it's gone.







It's not accurate to say that the city lights drown out the stars.  As you can see this shot that I took at Datsko Park after trying to catch meteors from the causeway, there are stars.  But they are certainly faint and diminished.  And this was a 20 second exposure.  Give me good old dark Midwest skies anytime.

It's Monday, they sure roll around fast.   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant