Skip to main content

Flashback Friday



Today we scoot back to a kind of neat picture, unposed, of the twins in a moment of uninhibited twinnage.  Firstly, most pics of this era were carefully posed for some special event - namely Christmas family pics or Easter go-to-meeting.  There were no family day-in-the-life casual picture taking.  We didn't take pics of nothing, we recorded special events.  I sure wish it had been the other way around.  But today, we have something of a rarity.  

If I had to guess, Marj had the camera and needed to take some pics to top off the roll so it could get processed.  As she approached, I grabbed the Wombie to shield me from any photographic intrusion.

Besides a couple kids jockeying or jockeyed for the camera we have a couple other interesting things happening.  There are lots of things that get forgotten with the passage of time.  I'd forgotten that our room was, at one time, hardwood floored.  Somewhere along the way just about every room was carpeted.  It was a 60's thing.  Hardwood has come back but at one time carpet was the norm.

Another item of interest to me, anyway was the floor to ceiling light fixture that was also popular.  Notice the barren walls?  I'm not sure there was anything ever hung on the walls except that unfortunate swastika I scrawled on it after a pesky math lesson gone bad. 

Finally, my bed was the one on the right.  I remember how we would keep talking to each other because we didn't want to be the last one awake.  I liked the reflection of the Christmas lights on the ceiling during the holidays.  And, yes, that little stuffed pooch on my bed was just like the Wombie's.  Its hard to say goodbye to old friends, even if they are stuffed.

Funny.  The Wombie and I have taken different tracks, achieved in our own ways.  We were having fun in the picture and do so still.  That's probably not all that unique amongst brothers but I think its a treasure.  Twinnage is just as fun now as it was when this picture was taken.  Always someone to play with, always a best buddy, always a scapegoat, always a shield from nosy people with cameras.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant