Skip to main content

It Was A Dark And Cold Spring Day

Gather around, kids, and I'll tell you a true story you'd never believe in a hundred years.  It's a story about two unlikely competitors.  One, a classy icon of a car that is just as pretty today as it was when it was made 56 years ago.  The other, a year newer is frumpy, dated, easily forgotten and hardly anyone's idea of a cool ride.  The first one, let's call it "Eddie's Chevy", is 2-door, sporty racy wheels, dual exhaust, and is a stick shift.  The second one, lets call it "Mike's Dodge" has four doors, stock wheels and single exhaust.

I had given up hope of attending the Alpha car show.  Richard and I had made plans to go but it was a cold, rainy day with a forecast that called for showers all day.  Old car guys don't like getting their cars wet.  It's a rust thing.  I texted Richard about 8:30 am and we both decided to find something else to do.  

A little later I got a text from my friend Eddie from Peoria.  He told me to get going, he had a space for me next to him and was saving it for me.  After some give and take, I decided to go.  It was, after all one of the reasons I came back to Northlandia on this date.  Miss Frump is now stored in G-Burg, until I find Cabin in the Woods 2.0, so off I went.  It started raining around Viola and I almost bagged it but after a reassuring text to Eddie I kept on going.  I sure hope Richard found something to do that was warm and dry.  

I made it to G-Burg, and The Frump started right off.  When I reached Alpha I saw the spot Eddie reserved for me and I backed it in.  I know why Eddie wants to park next to me.  Besides being old high school buddies he also lies the idea that next to him is an old grocery getter that won't provide too much sparkle.  I have indeed parked next to him several times and while all the spectators oohhh and awwww over his immaculate Chevy, once in a while somebody with real appreciation for the oldies will look mine over a little, too.       






Car parked, greetings to Eddie, registration, and quick car clean up and we settle in for a cold, bastardly cold day with raw winds and rain.  Being in Florida weakens ones constitution so any weather at all below 75 degrees requires emergency measures.  And I was cold as Hell all day.     

I used to have a trophy magnet, but with the 63 Dodge, I know what I have and no need to add an extra room for all my awards.  It was nice, however, when Dave of 3-D Sound, who provided the music and hosting, came over to make some well reviews of the Frump.   Dave is as knowledgeable about cars as anyone and he couldn't get over seeing this car as they are rare and its pristine condition.  Wow, was I thrilled.  And he said this while there was a bit of a crowd around her, too.  OK, that was worth sitting in the cold rain all day.  






After all that Eddie and I hunkered down in our lawn chairs and chatted the rest of the time.  We walked over for a brat at the fire house and had to vote for the Top 40, which is really tough.  Not because there are more than 40 cars there worthy, but because you jot a car down and then think your done and run into one that needs recognition too.  You then start scratching off to include the latest only to discover another one down the way.  It's an impossible task but you have to do the best you can. 

I swear the day got colder and because of the total inclemency of it all they decided to call out the trophy's at 2:00 instead of 3:00 and let everyone go home.  It's not that there were hordes of townsfolk walking by or yard salers for the Thrifty on 150 deal that coincides with the car show.  

I put my lawn chair and presentation board in the trunk,  and hunker with Eddie, waiting for his name to be called.  I try to get downwind of him to block the cold.  Please speed it up Dave, I'm freezing.  Then, the impossible happened.  My name was called. A dowdy 63 Dodge was one of the best cars there, and so recognized by the other owners.  I dashed up, grabbed my plaque and nodded in appreciation to the smattering of applause.  Well.  OK, now where's Eddie's?

Sadly, it never came.  And so this was a day when a family grocery-getter beat out an icon - a classic beauty whose lines will always denote one of the best designed cars ever.   I couldn't believe it.  Eddie was fine with it.  He'll go to another one next week and get back on a winning streak again.    






But the awards weren't over.  For longest distance Eddie won a real trophy and $50.  

Sometimes when you lose, you win.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant