Skip to main content

Flashback Friday

I wish I could tell you all about this picture's setting.  The people, the occasion, the place.  All I do know is that my parents are the third and second from the right.  There is no information on the back.  I think I can come close to finding out what it is, but it will be pure speculation.

Both were students at Monmouth College.  She was a sorority sister with Pi Beta Phi.  I believe he was in a fraternity but whose affiliation I have forgotten.  If I had to make a guess I think this would be his fraternity and fellow brothers.  I believe that is Marj's best friend over on the left, Kathleen McCrery.  Darned if I know why they are all dressed up, though.  

Herb joined the Navy during World War II, and he was a student at the time.  After the war he returned to finish his studies.  He graduated in '46 and married Marj that year, too.  They then headed to Seaton where his father had an elevator.  He taught a year at Seaton school and then joined his dad to help at the business.  

What an exciting and happy time for my folks. Look how relaxed she is.  Young people just starting out.  All of them.  

Which reminds me of one of my favorite stories regarding Monmouth College.  I have mentioned it on this blog once but good stories deserve retelling.  Marj had hip problems in later life which made it difficult for her to walk.  She could with the help of crutches.  They attended some sort of college event and instead of using the parking lot, he drove right up to the front door on the sidewalk so Marj wouldn't have to walk so far.  As he was getting out of the car some women walked by and gave him the eye for parking in that area.  He said to them, "When you donate a million dollars you can park anywhere."     

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant