Skip to main content

Peace of My Mind

The old philosopher in me whispers in my ear that there are really only two events in life:  beginnings and ends.  The rest is just padding.  It's just another way of saying that change is life's only constant.  My old grade school no longer exists.  My junior high is shuttered.  My high school consolidated and is no longer Aledo High.  My college is no longer a college but a university.  My old grad school is no longer affiliated with the university and exists independently.  Beginnings and ends. 

People are born, people die.  Friends come in and out of your life.  TV shows come and go, movies are important then fade, making way for new ones.  Jobs change, and what we do in those jobs changes, too.  Once I was into body wash, now I'm back to bar soap.  Businesses thrive then fade. Ebb and flow.  Beginnings and ends.






A case could be made that the young handle change better than the old.  Although if you had witnessed granddaughter Ayla's complete meltdown last Friday when Dunkin Donuts didn't have either  chocolate sprinkle or strawberry sprinkle donuts might dissuade you of that theory.  I had a similar feeling (less the meltdown) when I learned last week that Jerry's Pizza, after 52 years, had closed in May.  







But this wasn't just any closing.  It was the best pizza I ever had.  First introduced when I was a freshman in college, it was right next to the movie theater, college kids' second most favorite pastime.  Some unscrupulous guys used to call them up from Hershey Hall with an order for Treischmann Hall, the girls dorm, then run out to the car when he took it over to see if there were any undelivered ones.  I lived in Hershey, but I swear I never did that.  I may have partaken in a slice or two, but I never made the call - not after that unfortunate call I made in high school.  I swear.

Then when we started drinking at the West Side, we'd have pizzas delivered there on Saturday nights.  Pool, beer, buddies and pizza.  We always studied on Sundays.  Once I recall Peri, Kube's girlfriend, sliding the entire top of the pizza back into place after it had slid off after a rough landing.  The grease wasn't a secret ingredient.

After graduation, and in G-Burg for a career, we made annual treks over and sometimes ordered up to 10 to take home and put in the chest freezer.  Before Route 34 became a big 4-lane kind-of-interstate thing you went through Middletown, Danville and New London before reaching Mt. P.  The current Mrs. Blythe and I would stop at each and pick up scratch lottos to play while waiting for our pizza.  These annual treks became pilgrimages.  It was even a roundabout destination of our old BFE biker group once.  Mecca had nothing over Mount Pleasant.  



I only ever had one kind of Jerry's.  Sausage.  That small square sauce-on-thin-crust topped with a single sausage ball was pure heaven.  It could make things stand that don't have feet.  But change being change, Jerry got old and was working in his wheelchair.  Last time I was there I asked Mrs. Jerry if they had the recipe put away in a vault for safe-keeping and she told me they were hoping to get one of their sons to take it over.  Apparently that didn't happen.  Ebb and flow.



My God! I have more pictures of Jerry's Pizza than I do my mother!



I have sent notices to a few of my college buddies informing them of the fact and all are genuinely dejected.  Some have wondered if it is possible to purchase the recipe.  Some have offered to kidnap Jerry and hold him ransom for it.  Change can be fun, but not always.  So, it is a new world that exists for us who once knew the cosmic delight of Jerry's.  The stars won't shine as bright, the magnificence of the natural world dims, all our tomorrows will shrink in wonder.  But better to have Jerry's and lost than never to have had Jerry's at all. 




Ebb and flow.  Beginnings and ends.  Maybe a little more flow and a little less ebb.

       

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant