Skip to main content

Tuesday Tidbits




++++++++++

You know those slide show traps on Yahoo that usually suck you I with titles like "See what your favorite movie stars look like now", or "See where Hugh Hefner lived and we could cry".  You know, stupid salacious stuff that wastes your time with 70 slide shows of people you don't know or who have died in the last five years but they still keep sucking you in.  The last one, absolutely last one I will ever get sucked into, as Lord is my witness, was titled Overrated Tourist Attractions.  Just this week.  So like the slavering drooling imbecile I am, I decide to check it out.  And honestly things like the Eiffel Tower, the Leaning Tower of Pisa, Mona Lisa and the Louvre, the Washington Monument and, gasp! the Pyramids!  Well, that's like the best attractions in the world.  And they are all overrated??  What, the biggest ball of twine in Darwin, Minnesota beats the Pyramids?  Absolutely the last time I get suckered in.  The last!  


++++++++++



++++++++++





It's officially Halloween Season!  



++++++++++






++++++++++








   



I have discovered a fun little activity.  I had Amazon send a drone to Mr. and Mrs. Wombie's house from a stockpile of babysitting money I squirrelled away.  Huh.  You mean you got paid for taking care of your own grandkids?  What a schmuck.  Gouged your own daughter for personal gain.  Geez, what a creep.  

Whoa, Judge Judy.  Why don't we just discuss the drone and we'll deal with my creepiness later, OK?  Anyway, with apparently misbegotten funds I bought a Holy Stone HS700 drone.  One of those with all the bells and whistles.  

The above vids are times we had it up in the air.  I had a tough time getting it started - its a 5 or 6 step start and I seemed to screw it up.  The Wombie and his son-in-law, Steve, had no problems getting it revved and airborne, but I seemed to have washed out of flight school.  I'm no top gun.  

My plans for the November trip up to Northlandia is to become proficient enough to send it flying over the river at Keithsburg when a barge is coming, check out the Seaton water tower, the grain bins in BFE and do sunrise panoramas.  

Now just how much did you gouge from your daughter, Scuzznuts?



++++++++++     









++++++++++




++++++++++




Kenzie said yesterday over breakfast that we should go to Brookfield for a corn maze and orchard stuff. Poor Kenze. Grasping at anything that sounds remotely "northern". They don't grow corn down here, or grow apple trees, or make cider or bale hay. Do they? Don't they just ship it in from the Midwest? Now if you want sand and mangroves, this is the place, but gourds and pumpkins? I don't think so. Anyway, it wouldn't be like up North where Korn is King. OK, I'll play along, but sneak back to Tanner's Orchard before they close at the end of November.



++++++++++  


   OK, now.  Everyone close your eyes and picture yourselves in bed, nice and cozy with the window propped open just a bit to let the cool breeze waft over you.  You are in that twilight before fully awake and fully asleep.  It's Saturday morning.  Now push the arrow on this video I took up North.  Yeah, you may have to open your eyes to find it.   







There just ain't nothin' like it down here.  First, if it rains at all it pours and then it is over.  Second, no one opens their windows.  

This 50 second video is almost heaven.


++++++++++




Me at La Gondola's in G-Burg as they make me a Torpedo sandwich.




+++++++++++ 

Parents, please don't tell your children that they, too, could grow up to be president someday.


++++++++++




Went with Neighbor Tim to London Mills for one of those giant tenderloins.  We first went to Media to see the old train trestle that was guarded by the Army in World War II.  More on that later, but until then, damn that was a good tenderloin.  Reason's Deli that put out a pretty decent one in downtown Emerald City closed.  Tears follow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant