Skip to main content

Take Out the Garbage Day

A few years ago Mr. and Mrs. Wombie and I went on a roadtrip around Media, Illinois to see the old train trestle.  It wasn't hard to find and I took a lot of pictures that day.  Think I can find them?  Nope.  I think I know where they might be and I'll look for them later, but they may be lost forever.  

The real historical factor of the trestle was the fact that it was such a vital artery for war materiel during World War II that it was guarded by the military.  On my last visit to Northlandia Neighbor Tim and I took off toward Spoonies in London Mills for lunch but I wanted to detour a bit and show it to him.  He enjoys a good historical story and I thought I had come up with a pretty good trifecta:  bike ride, lunch, history.  





I came into town and stopped at the old high school that, by the way, was the place my Dad went to school.  It is still standing, oddly, in an era of bringing old things down.  I decided I needed Tim's GPS to find the road where the old thing was and its always nice to stop and talk things over.  A guy was in his garage across the street so I walked over and asked him where the old trestle was.

He said we were too late.  He explained that last year they tore it down and built a new span.  And that was that.  

Above is a video I found on YouTube.  If I find the odl pics I took I'll post them soon.      

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant