Skip to main content

A Peace of My Mind



This is me on my Yamaha Stratoliner heading up to Wisconsin.  Neighbor Tim is in the rear trying to keep up on his Harley.  I travel possessed.  Gotta get up - Gotta get back.  That's my motto.  Never stay anyplace long enough to where they get a good reading on you.  Except in the case of Mr. and Mrs. Wombie when I head up to Northlandia.  Then I stay weeks on end.  The perpetual guest.  I'm working on finding accommodations elsewhere to give you guys a break.  I know a nice camper in someone's back yard that will do nicely.  

Anyway, the Good Neighbor and I headed off to Wisconsin after Labor Day.   A nice quick 2-dayer, up to Reedsburg and back.  Consider it a dry run for next year's return trip of 3 days.  Do I hear 4?  I have promised the Neighbor I will s-l-o-w the fuck down and simply take it all in.  Next year.  Labor Day week?  Yeah.  I'm down for that.

I've taken many trips.  Fast ones.  It might be kinda nice to s-l-o-w the fuck down and relax.  One of the things you cannot do on a motorcycle trip is take pictures of the passing scenery.  By the time you see something worth snapping, it is behind you.  OK, so then if you really really must have that pic, you stop, look out for traffic and then do a U-y back to the spot you passed.  You climb off, find the camera nnd take the picture.  Then you climb back on (which isn't always easy), start up the bike, look both ways and do another U-y.  Sound simple?  It's not.  I once dropped my bike in soft red Georgia soil to take a picture of a Confederate cemetery.  Damn Rebels.

I do want to s-l-o-w the fuck down.  And I will.  

Here are the only pictures of our Wisconsin trip.  




       Parked in front of the cheapest motel in Reedsburg.    





Nice pink wall.  Perhaps the hardest bed I have ever been on.  A bit of a sleepless night.  When I opened the door a large beetle scampered across the floor.  Didn't ask Neighbor Tim about his accommodations: it simply goes that Ma and Pa places can't compete with the industry big boys.  I'll take Ma and Pa any day.  





Suiting up in the morning shadows.  My place was on the bottom right, Tim's just next door.  The place had one of those single cup coffee machines, which was nice.


It is said that on our deathbeds it's not the things we have done that we will regret, but rather, the things we didn't do.  Gladly, we are going to go back up next year for three days whcih will give us more time to scout out the state.  

S - l - o - w down, Mike.  Savor, taste, take the time. 

If you want to go fast, go alone.
If you want to go far, go together.  African Proverb     


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Summer Swim

It's Monday and the start of another work week.  Except for me.  I have the week off because the parents of my daycare charges are taking the week off, too. This is one of those wordless posts I love on Mondays so I can put my laziness in full view of loyal readers.  These pics need no words.  Why muddy the waters?   They were taken at the pool at Sinkhole Estates aka Death Valley.  The nice thing about this pool is it is heated in winter.  If one must find positives in one's situation, I suppose that is one.  But, please, no more.   

Flashback Friday

Class, Or Lack Thereof The Dwight Vice gravestone in Oquawka, Illinois. I bring this old chestnut out every so often just to remind me that class is classless.  Dwight Vice was killed in his home near Oquawka in 2001.  It was one of those things that can generate crime:  two guys thought Dwight had a lot of money stashed at home because of his pot-selling sideline to supplement his fishing job.   Not really one of those big drug deals gone-bad things.  Marijuana was, according to the trial, about the only stuff Dwight sold.   But these two guys barge into the house and killed Dwight and attempted to kill his 11 year old kid, Darryl, before they took off with what money they could find.   His son, now 23, was stabbed in the back and left for dead.  He survived and is wheelchair bound and has undergone several surgeries to repair his wounds.  He will be paralyzed for life.   None of this is pleasant.  Reading the facts of the murder and attempted murder are most unpleasant